free website stats program Cracked Big Sucker | Harley Davidson Forums

Cracked Big Sucker

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
So my AN Big Sucker now has a piece of the cast aluminum (pot metal) that has broke around where one the stand-offs screws into the carb. Essentially leaving only two left holding it. I've read the K&N stuff and know about that. I cant find a "Kit" that HD offers for my 03' FLHR? All I can find is the backplate. It alludes to there being such a kit. I cant find it? I kinda wanted to compare before I purchased one. K&N may be my only one unless ya'll know of an HD one.

Thanks,

Bodeen

2011 HD SE screamin eagle pro racing parts catolog page 35 screamin eagle air cleaner bracket multifit part # 29510-05 chrome $49.95 or 29586-06 wrinkle black.39.95.

I must be reading your post wrong, because I'm confused. One of the 3 mounts next to the venturi has broken out? But you don't need a backing plate? What kind of kit are you referring to? It's a round A.N. Big sucker kit?

Agreed very confusing post but ,like he said one of the three broke , So has to be backing plate unless A.N has his own design for mounting the cover,but I dont think ,so I have used A.N covers with SE backing plate. but I would also be concerned about the threads of that broken screw.

With any luck it's broken off with enough to get a hold of with vise grips. (and some knock-r-loose) Can't imagine trying to drill and ez-out the manifold...

I bet Arlen can send you just the backing plate. If not a whole new Billet Big Sucker I is a couple hundred bucks. If it were me, I'd replace the whole thing.

Havent we seen this problem before with Ness products, Where are they made?

So my AN Big Sucker now has a piece of the cast aluminum (pot metal) that has broke around where one the stand-offs screws into the carb. Essentially leaving only two left holding it. I've read the K&N stuff and know about that. I cant find a "Kit" that HD offers for my 03' FLHR? All I can find is the backplate. It alludes to there being such a kit. I cant find it? I kinda wanted to compare before I purchased one. K&N may be my only one unless ya'll know of an HD one.

Thanks,

Bodeen

This is What I warned about a long time back... It happened to me on my 2006 1200 R....

SO you can SEE IF I'm Right..(? IF bodeen's is the same? )

MENTALY Take a backing plate JUST by it's self Hold it up the way it fits on the carb.....

LOOKING thru it at the 3 mounting Holes in the casting , You see where the back alum comes cast to make a ? 5/16 hole(1/4-NC thread) for the Long mounting screw(bolt) to hold it thru to the carb.(spaces out to hold the air cleaner)

AROUND One of these HOLES,,,, the alum. SHATTERES,,, Breaking loose from the back casting around the bolt area LEAVING a washer like alum piece BROKEN away from the back plate...... NOW that is what I saw on MINE and think that is what bodeen talking about,,,

IF NOT it still is good to read here, As I figure A N B S hasn't Fixed the weakend product and it looks like others Haven't ALSO.

Now that is what happened to MY Big Sucker .... It broke off at the Bottom one...Leaving only TWO points to hold against the carb.

Looking at the casting,,,, I thought it to be a FLAW, and TOO THIN in that area...(that is what I reported on HDT long ago)

I could not get the out-fit to warrenty it so I just ordered another complete Unit from Arlen Ness B.S. Thinking it would be better but WAS Not.

Years Later, I bought a SE air for my 09 FLHR,,, Thinking HD SE will be better..... BUT noticed that the casting and thickness in the same area LOOKED(not measured) JUST as thin as the arlen ness of years past.

The new A.N.B.S. has not broken away, BUT I have Not ridden the sporty as Hard and as many miles as before... So, So Far it is OK....

I tried to find JUST a backing plate but Not one to Find...... Anybody, let Us know IF you find a place to JUST order the backplate and How $$$$$

I think iF taken to a Welding shop, They could Melt enough into that area to Make it strong like it should be,,, You would have to modify the long Bolt that goes thru the back plate into the carb face to fit properly.

ME, I made STUDS that stick out of the carb on my sporty then MODIFIED the spacer Bolts to connect there and that made things Stronger on the SECOND Ness product...

signed....BUBBIE

Agreed very confusing post but ,like he said one of the three broke , So has to be backing plate unless A.N has his own design for mounting the cover,but I dont think ,so I have used A.N covers with SE backing plate. but I would also be concerned about the threads of that broken screw.

The long Bolt screw is Not a good design from My stand point..

I like to take the threaded Ends OUT-OFF the spacer (tube) that has the bolt heads on it holding the backing plate to the carb. (threaded ends Will come out, it is threaded inside also but lock-tighted to male a bolt out of them)....

AFTER removing the threaded Ends, THEN Tapping 1/4" NC threads WAY into that spacer.... THEN use a long STUDs into the carb ,,,At the 3 places (lock-tighted there RED)...

This makes for a better base to hold the alum back plate Tightly to the face of the injector/Carb unit.. NOT wearing out the threaded ends on the carb unit IF it Happens to come loose OR when taken apart....

It is a Little added design work but I like Mine this way.. The SE air unit on the 09 IS not done this way YET,,,, But when I take it apart it will get the modified design. :guitar

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen this before also on friends bikes, Friends that dont due there own wrenching and depend on the dealer for service, my personal take on this is that this is a area that must be maintaned by checking the screws and making sure loc tite is applied and torque specs checked along with lube service, I have also seen posts here about missing screws ,I agree with that the casting itself is a bit on the thin side ,when I eyeball the A.N and SE against a S&S backing plate witch is much more heavly built and come with larger Diameter heads on there screws .

also wanted to add that Wimmer custom cycle has a billet Aluminum backing plate that will provide better strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Sorry about the confusing post (made sense to me, but thats a different issue). Bubbie is spot on, the hole broke out next to the venturi. The screw is fine. So I am in need of a backing plate. Will the A.N. air filter bolts etc. work with a S.E. Backing plate? No more AN for me. Thanks for reminding about one of my own rules JACK! I dont feel bad as I the AN was on the bike when I bought it and if it aint broke dont fix it! Well, its broke and would like to go with an SE or the K&N. IF I can just use the SE backing Plate #29510-05 as Crocker pointed out I will just use it. I was originally thinking I had to replace with a new kit type thing. Maybe not as I can reuse the AN filter and associated hardware.

TIA,

Bodeen

Back