free website stats program covering the brake | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

covering the brake

... we told our students to keep their hands on the grips at all times unless you are going to use the brakes... First you want to have full control of your bike and second when you brake you want to use all your fingers not just two...QUOTE]

I cover both brake and clutch at all times!Took me a while to cultivate this habit(from off road or dirtbiking when you REALLY need to hang on)...

GREAT TOPIC!!!
I came from a dirt-bike background riding around in the hills of my hometown and desert riding, and then racing motocross. I understand having to keep all fingers on the grips when going over jumps, whoop-de-dos, etc.
But on the street, why is this necessary? It seems to me most situations where you want to be in "full control of your bike" you are going to be braking. If you are not braking - possibly swerving or accelerating to get out of harms way - why can't you do this with two fingers on the brake lever? I’m not arguing for the sake of it, I just can’t imagine any situation where this would be necessary. I would honestly like to know.
I also feel that (assuming you have the strength in your fingers) if you can’t make a “panic” stop with just two fingers on the lever, you need better brakes. If you don’t have the strength, it doesn’t take any longer to go from two fingers to four, as it does from all fingers on the grip to all fingers on the lever.

I am a index/middle finger coverer. I have taken 4 mrsf courses, and all of the instructors told me NOT to brake with 2 fingers (so I didn't for the rest of the course). Both my Dyna and Electra have dual front discs, and I can put enough pressure on the brakes with 2 fingers to scare myself. I agree that 4 fingers may have more control, but I'll stay with the 2 finger cover in traffic.:newsmile108:

Last edited:
Regarding front brake cover I use 4 fingers. If you do need to use the brake to get yourself out of trouble you could end up trapping your remaining fingers if you are using the 2 finger method, especially in cold weather when you have thick gloves on.

I have to admit , I've found myself doing the exact same thing . being a new rider and living on over-congested Long Island , I'm still paranoid when it comes to intersections . I know there are probably a lot of reasons it's not a great idea , but if it slows me down 10 MPH more in a bad situation .........

Back