free website stats program covering the brake | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

covering the brake

I also cover the brake in low speed traffic. I have a set of Iron Braid trigger levers, which make it feel a lot more natural and comfortable, and give you more leverage.

As a motorcycle riding instructor with the Canada Safety Council, we told our students to keep their hands on the grips at all times unless you are going to use the brakes. We also taught a lot of other stuff about riding and braking but this is about covering your brakes and I personally feel it's not a good idea. First you want to have full control of your bike and second when you brake you want to use all your fingers not just two. But once again its up to each rider to decide what's best for them. As a side note I think dragging your feet is dangerous and you should lift your feet up onto the pegs or floor boards as soon as you start moving.

As a motorcycle riding instructor with the Canada Safety Council, we told our students to keep their hands on the grips at all times unless you are going to use the brakes. We also taught a lot of other stuff about riding and braking but this is about covering your brakes and I personally feel it's not a good idea. First you want to have full control of your bike and second when you brake you want to use all your fingers not just two. But once again its up to each rider to decide what's best for them. As a side note I think dragging your feet is dangerous and you should lift your feet up onto the pegs or floor boards as soon as you start moving.

I was starting to think I was the only one that thought like this. I also remember being taught in the MSF BRC to always brake with all your fingers, thus not a good habit to develop riding around with only one or 2 fingers lightly on the brake lever. This latter technique runs the risk of you developing a habit of very light braking quite frequently and in an emergency you may revert to this type of braking instead of the full effort required. It's obvious I'm in the minority here but so be it. I feel like being 100% aware of your situation, visually and mentally, at all times will more than make up for the half second or so it'll take to get ALL your fingers on the brake lever.

If I can see far enough ahead and am positive there are no hidden place for anyone to come pulling out at me I drive without covering the brakes, but I've also tought myself the habit of covering the front brake with 2 fingers and holding my foot on the brake when I come up to a sidestreet or enter an intersection. If I feel there is a real possible risk there I'll slow down 10 mph or so just in case.

Call me paranoid but sometimes it just seem they are out to get me.

Ride safe!

I have been trained as an advanced police traffic rider. Brake cover is very important for heavy traffic at slow speeds and in urban areas when passing junctions, other vehicles manoeuvring, kids playing with balls on pavements, passing stationary buses in fact anything that may cause you to take evasive action but brake cover must be always preceded by good observation always check far distance middle distance near distance, sides and to the rear at all times. A good tip is to check delivery vehicles wing mirrors for the driver he may be about to open his door without looking as he may be distracted with his paperwork. We also trained at high speeds 120mph + brake cover is also important at those speeds approaching junctions, hump back bridges, passing petrol stations etc. Brake cover should be foot and hand brake. If required to brake foot to hand pressure is evenly applied with the front slightly before the rear. Whilst driving in slow town traffic I find it best to just use the rear brake by feathering it keeping full control of the bars.

Sworrub -- when you cover your front brake, is it with two fingers?

One thing I'm hearing is maybe two fingers isn't enough. I've been practicing hard stopping in parking lots with two fingers, it seems like enough but maybe not. Might be something the hand needs to develope through practice.

How did they have you practice that in your police training?

Now I am not a police rider but, like yourself have practiced a lot of emergency stops and stop and swerve manouvers by myself and under the supervision of instructors. All I know is that on my bike it is pretty easy to pull the front brake to a skid even when using only 2 fingers on the brake. I found that progressive braking the 1st second (to get the front supsension to settle) then full power braking worked the best to achieve minimum stopping distance and best controle.

If you are having control issues using your index and middle finger, a trick that helped me along was to use the middle and ring finger for braking while keeping my index on the throttle for added control.

Ow one final note to those who do not cover the front brake in high risk situations: Imagine you overlook something and you do need to brake suddenly, the distance you are covering reaching for your brake lever might me much more than you expect: Scroll down the page!

Take care,

I cover both brake and clutch at all times!Took me a while to cultivate this habit(from off road or dirtbiking when you REALLY need to hang on),now i cant ride without it.The 3 to 4 tenths of a second it saves in moving your braking digits from 'bar to brake may save your skin or neck.PLUS it's human nature to clench your fists when confronted with danger or a fright, and with your fingers already on the brake,you're in front.

However,i keep thumb and first finger on the grip and use the next two(dunno what they're called)draped across the lever.
This gives a more secure grip on the bike and throttle;it really improves application of throttle particularly with downchanges, and allows 2 strong fingers to haul that brake lever in.

Practice a bit and see how you go.

Back