free website stats program covering the brake | Harley Davidson Forums

covering the brake

Jimmy_k

I'm trying to develope the habit of covering the brake with my first two fingers while riding in town. From a stop sign, I'm trying to automatically get my hand in that position right after shifting to second gear.

Decided to do this after somebody pulled out right in front of me from a sidestreet the other day and I just barely slowed enough to avoid hitting them. Seems like it might save a second or so of reaction time on the brake having the fingers already there.

Anybody else do this? It's a hard habit to get into, feels kind of awkward. Hopefully it will be second nature soon.

Jimmy

A great habit to have. One second at 30mph is something like 40 feet. I try to cover around town but also don't cover on open road.

I cover the brake in traffic and not on the highway.
It saved me a bad wreck last year. And numerous times previous no doubt.

Best habit to get into. I'm glad someone brought this up. Its not something I think about, just habit.

That's how I ride, cover the brake and the clucth with two fingers on both hands, I feel more comfier when riding like that than with a "death grip" style, doesn't matter if I'm in traffic or on open roads.

A great habit to have. One second at 30mph is something like 40 feet. I try to cover around town but also don't cover on open road.

Seems to me thats what they taught my wife when she took the riders course way back when, it makes good sense, Jack

Very good driving habit to have. I've always got a few finger of my right hand over the brake lever in traffic and when there is anything around at all on the highway my right foot is covering my brake pedal. Things like a vehicle approaching from a side road or the possibility of wild life (or kids) being along the road. I ride like I'm paranoid and perhaps I am, but I'm still riding and have been for 45 years. If there is no escape zone your only choice is to get stopped or slowed down as much as possible.

Good habit to have them covered on the street for traffic jamming and in the twistys...an ol' survival trick for older riders and racers alike for two totally different reasons. Two finger squeeze means having braking power when you need them and time to modulate them (also means less tendency to grab 'em which is dangerous at serious lean angles and speed) should still provide sufficient tire howling stop when needed as well. :D If not check those brakes for sufficient clearance from the bar and sponginess at the pedal. Not so important on the open highway...

I'm trying to develope the habit of covering the brake with my first two fingers while riding in town. From a stop sign, I'm trying to automatically get my hand in that position right after shifting to second gear.

Decided to do this after somebody pulled out right in front of me from a sidestreet the other day and I just barely slowed enough to avoid hitting them. Seems like it might save a second or so of reaction time on the brake having the fingers already there.

Anybody else do this? It's a hard habit to get into, feels kind of awkward. Hopefully it will be second nature soon.

Jimmy

Last edited:
I also try to remember to cover the brake lever in when in traffic. And I don't use highway pegs because I want to keep my foot as to the rear foot peg as possible. A all I try to remember to keep thumb over the horn button.

Back