free website stats program couple of small RKC questions | Harley Davidson Forums

couple of small RKC questions

have been putting some miles on my new '09 RKC & really loving this bike. a whole lot. very happy with this purchase.
but a couple of niggling questions have arisen so far ...

my throttle handle moves in & out about, oh, maybe a 1/4 or an 1/8 of an inch (between the end of the bar and handle bar controls). just free movement back & forth. small thing but it bugs me. a psychological thing that makes me feel i'm not grasping a throttle that's solid. are they all this way? have been thinking of getting aileron grips. would that change it?

i had the dealer install black hand control levers before picking up the bike. i notice that the clutch handle (which works perfectly fine) does not return all the way back when released after engaging the clutch to shift. shifts just fine but the handle has to be nudged back to sit all the way in it's housing. is that normal?

small things, admittedly, but i am curious about them.

i had the dealer install black hand control levers before picking up the bike. i notice that the clutch handle (which works perfectly fine) does not return all the way back when released after engaging the clutch to shift. shifts just fine but the handle has to be nudged back to sit all the way in it's housing. is that normal?

Probably just a little tight in the housing. You might loosen the adjuster, take the snap ring off, push the pin up so that the lever is free, pull that out, lube it both sides with a moly lube, lube the anti rattle spring and then reinstall everything. Tighten up the adjuster so that you have the 1/8-1/4" play in the lever when adjusted. Actually, while you are doing this, you might want to go ahead and just adjust the clutch. See here:

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Throttle can usually be snugged up by loosening the bolts that hold the lever mount on the bar and moving the mount a bit forward on the bar, leave a bit of the clearance in there or the throttle will hang up.

As far as the clutch, that sounds like the cable adjustments needs a bit more slack removed.

sorry glider ...
when you say "moving the mount a bit forward on the bar," are you meaning forward toward the throttle grip or forward toward the middle of the bike???

thanks.

on the throttle by wire the throttle is normal no matter what you do ya cant get ride of the in and out .. the clutch ya can adjust a bit but i have noticed the 08 and 09s both dont return all the way .. if you set it to go all the want it wont engage all the way sometimes

forgot to add aftermarket grips or better than stock hd's do help with the throttle

Last edited:
I had my dealer fix all the little annoyances when I took my bike in for the 1K service. If you want to wrench yourself, these guys did point you in the right direction.

hey bud ...

thanks for the sage advice.
do you think an inexperienced wrencher like myself might be able to install those ailerons on an '09 FLHC? hate to pay the $$$ for a mechanic to do it ... but that little movement back & forth on the throttle grip is starting to drive me nuts & makes my hand tired from holding the grip so hard.
suggestions? or is there a step by step instruction to follow somewhere??

thanks for any help.

hey bud ...

thanks for the sage advice.
do you think an inexperienced wrencher like myself might be able to install those ailerons on an '09 FLHC? hate to pay the $$$ for a mechanic to do it ... but that little movement back & forth on the throttle grip is starting to drive me nuts & makes my hand tired from holding the grip so hard.
suggestions? or is there a step by step instruction to follow somewhere??

thanks for any help.

Really have to look around in the self help area :s

Aileron Grip Install - Harley Davidson Community

And for the pre fly by wire for the clutch side.

Replacing Your Hand Grips - Harley Davidson Community

Back