free website stats program Counter sprocket splines stripped? | Harley Davidson Forums

Counter sprocket splines stripped?

Mosko

Yesterday while riding 2005 Road King I had grinding noises at 75 MPH, engine runs but no output to the rear wheel. I took it down last night and see that the counter sprocket is grinding / slipping between the splines on the main drive gear and the sprocket splines. I don't have a locknut tool to get the nut off yet, I have one comming.

The question is, have any of you folks had this problem, and if so is the damage normally to the sprocket, the main drive gear or both.

I would hope the spocket is softer therefore taking all the damage rather than the main drive gear, but who knows?

Thanks...

It sounds more like the main shaft drive pulley is stripped. The damage is usually to the pulley but you may have to remove material from the splines.

Thanks HDDon, for obvious reasons I was hoping the pulley was stripped instead of the gear. As mentioned in the 1st post, I don't have the tool to remove the pulley's locknut and got sticker shock when I found out what they cost. I have a friend with a machine shop who is welding an extention on to a 1" drive 1 7/8 inpact socket for a favor to get it off.

I hate to keep asking questions, but with all that "stuff" freewheeling / slipping, will I have to remove the shift drum, and put the transmission for instance in two different gears, to lock it up, to stop the main gear from turning, to impact the nut off?

Thanks

You will need to lock the main drive gear somehow to get the large nut off use a fair bit of heat on the nut prior to attempting to remove it as the threads are coated in red loctite and the heat will melt the loctite and allow it to release its grip
inspect the nut and lock plate carefully prior to re using them as the nut can move a wee bit and be damaged by the lock plate personally i would replace them anyway

Brian

I hate to keep asking questions, but with all that "stuff" freewheeling / slipping, will I have to remove the shift drum, and put the transmission for instance in two different gears, to lock it up, to stop the main gear from turning, to impact the nut off?
Thanks

If people don't ask questions, we don't have anything to read! :)
Here's a couple of links that may help.
Broken transmission / front pulley (1994 FXR) - Harley Davidson Community

Post #7 references jamming the gear set.

and a novel way to keep the new pulley from turning while you torque it.
Transmission Sprocket Repair

Thanks for the replies, and also for the link to the previous post concerning the problem. The pulley was indeed stripped, and after I obtained a tool to remove the locknut, there was the next problem. With the pulley splines stripped, there was nothing apparent to hold the drive gear secure enough to break the nut loose. I read in the other posts about various ways to "put something in there" etc. to lock it up, or "jam the gears". I was a bit scared to do that, so, since I already had the top of the tranny off, when I inspected the gears, I went a bit further and removed the shift cam, and put the tranny in 2 different gears at the same time, by hand moving the shift forks, which locked up the tranny. Then, my impact wrench and new tool removed the nut with no problem.

An inspection of the main drive gear, and a good cleaning of the splines, shows it to be in good condition. I removed the oil seal and sprocket spacer where I could compare the splines where the pulley had been riding, to the inner portion of the splines, and they appear the same. I guess I'm lucky there, not needing to replace the main (5th) drive gear.

I think Harley has a sloppy fit there on those splines, whereas "normal" riding will rock the pulley to and fro, and over a short period of time (24,000 miles) it simply wore out the pulley splines. They are definitely softer than the gear, which is actually good.

I thought the problem may have been to little torque on the nut, since the lock plate is broken and spread appart, indicating that it had spun. It's never been off since new, so if that's the problem, the factory did it.

While I have it appart this far, I'm going to replace all the oil seals since I did have a drip leak from the tranny before. My problem now is pulling off the inner race from the main shaft to replace that oil seal between the main shaft and the inner part of the main drive gear.

There's another "special tool" needed, I'm going to make one to do the job.

Man, I just love to work on this thing!

Best of luck to you, many times we can make our own tools:s

When i did my dyna i stripped it to fix an oil leak which i found to be the main shaft oil seal i found that there was a lot of wear on the large nut where it had been against the lock plate to the point that all the edges had been worn so it was almost round however the nut had not spun so i just replaced all the parts new spacer seals nut and lock plate
it may also be worth replacing the lock washers and bolts that hold the inner primary on or you may develop a leak from the bolt holes

Brian

Thanks again guys for the comments. As I mentioned I'm just a guy who likes to ride, and I enjoy working on the bikes as part of the hobby. I have found with this malfunction just how many special tools one needs to really work on a Harley. It seems to me that a manual, a good forum like this one, couple of common wrenches, and a $1000 worth of special tools is all you need! With this small job, I'm replacing the pulley, all the seals & gaskets, and a few other parts while I'm in there. I have had to make 5 special tools to get it done, as well as have a couple of odd size sockets that normally don't come in a standard socket set.

I'm also involved with another hobby where several special tools are needed. On a forum, for that hobby, we have put together a set of the special tools, that we loan, and ship to each other to do the various tasks. Now we didn't make any of those tools due to their complexity, but several folks got together and purchased the kit. The "forum" owns it so to speak, and the members can rent it for the cost of shipping.

I haven't been here very long, and don't know if something like that would be a good idea here or not, but it might be something to think about.

Many of our members have some of the "special" tools needed for certain procedures on their Harleys. If you have a specific need Start a thread and ask to borrow. I'm sure with our large membership you will get a response. Don't know where you are in Ga. but I live at the end of the Suwannee River and have some of the special tools.

Back