free website stats program could use some help | Harley Davidson Forums

could use some help

chuck60

I have a 2013 flhr road king, it has big louie pipes that came with the bike. I put a FL-VIED (XIED) 02 upgrade on the bike, what I'm wondering is can I put on the screaming eagle air intake without doing a download to the bike.

If you are talking about the down load from the dealer it will basically just increase the RPM's before rev limiter kicks in. It needs to be EPA approved so air fuel ratio does not change. Adding a higher flow air filter means more air into engine and the upgraded exhaust allows it to be released quicker. So you will have a lean condition. Adding a fueler would be a better way to go to maximize upgrades.

Here is a similar problem:

exhaust popping.... - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

If you are talking about the down load from the dealer it will basically just increase the RPM's before rev limiter kicks in. It needs to be EPA approved so air fuel ratio does not change. Adding a higher flow air filter means more air into engine and the upgraded exhaust allows it to be released quicker. So you will have a lean condition. Adding a fueler would be a better way to go to maximize upgrades.

Here is a similar problem:

exhaust popping.... - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

The XIED allows for more fuel to get in. So are you saying that I don't need the Harley download if I add a higher air flow. Thank you for your help, I don't have much knowledge on this stuff, but I'm trying to learn.

What I mean is the download from dealer is only going to lighten your wallet and not really change anything. Will the XIED trick ECM to allow the proper amount of fuel need to offset lean condition. That is the question that need to be answered.

Here is a good read:
Dr. Dyno explains 02 sensors and closed-loop systems

No, you don't need a dealer download, Bernie is right,:s you'll be spending money you really don't have to. With what you have done so far all you need to do is add more fuel, Harley's run lean from the factory and what you've done is lean it out even more. Read some of the threads on your question and you'll get a good idea on what you need to do.

IMHO, the XiEDs work well in a stock configuration; however, a fueler or flash tuner are a better option for a Stage I upgrade. In either event and as has been pointed out, the dealer flash/download is worthless; many better options.:s

No, you don't need a dealer download, Bernie is right,:s you'll be spending money you really don't have to. With what you have done so far all you need to do is add more fuel, Harley's run lean from the factory and what you've done is lean it out even more. Read some of the threads on your question and you'll get a good idea on what you need to do.

How did I make it leaner ? I just added the XIED which is supposed to make it run cooler, and the pipes came on the bike.

How did I make it leaner ? I just added the XIED which is supposed to make it run cooler, and the pipes came on the bike.
Changing from stock exhaust and adding more air/air cleaner will lean it out. Keep in mind Harley's run lean from the factory so as to meet the emissions regulations.

Think of an engine as an air pump, more air in and out more output. In order to have both you will need more fuel to balance it all out

Back