free website stats program Could be a problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Could be a problem

rollo3076

So, I was on my way to work at 530 am and my battery light and engine light indicators lit up. I look at my amp gauge its down to between 12 and 13 amps, it usually reads about 14 and a half. I pull the clutch in and rev it once, both idiot lights go out and the amp gauge is back to normal. Anyone seen this before. Kinda wicked feeling that early in the morning, 30 miles from home.

So, I was on my way to work at 530 am and my battery light and engine light indicators lit up. I look at my amp gauge its down to between 12 and 13 amps, it usually reads about 14 and a half. I pull the clutch in and rev it once, both idiot lights go out and the amp gauge is back to normal. Anyone seen this before. Kinda wicked feeling that early in the morning, 30 miles from home.

I assume you mean the Vdc meter on your dash, right?

If so, I had this same sort of problem when my VR was going out. It will hard fail and then the bike is running on battery only. Mine turned out to be a bad Stator and VR. I always think it is a good idea to replace both together anyway. As long as the rotor is OK (magnets not moved and none chipped or broken), you can probably reuse that.

TQ

Harley Davidson Community Follow this link, sounds like your regulator is failing

I went through something similar a few months back, here is the link to that thread. Good luck with it.

Electrical Issues - Harley Davidson Community
That sounds exactly right. Mine has 57,000 and I havent replaced the battery yet. Sounds like an easy fix. How long do you think I have before it goes out? It's the first time its done this. Well, there is probably no sure way to know. Dumb question. I want to see if I can test everything like Jack suggested. I'm trying to learn to do most of the work myself. Harley is so expensive and it makes you feel more connected to your ride to do your on stuff. Weird, huh? Thanks for the quick comeback guys. This forum is teaching me more than any books could find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I put her in the shop and it was the VR. She is getting a new battery, fuel filter, and fork oil change while she's there. Thanks guys for all your help.

Back