free website stats program coughing bike | Harley Davidson Forums

coughing bike

creiter45

got a question for everyone. my buddy just bought an 07 1200 custom. the bike has been sittin idle for the past 6-8 months. he put new high test gas in the tank but did not drain the old fuel out. when he opens the throttle up the bike coughs a little bit... nothing too bad but annoying. just wondering if the leftover old fuel would cause this...could the carb gum up that quick? i would appreciate any help any of you could give us...thank

I would drain the tank and start over again and add some gum-out carb cleaner to the tank. A rejet with a 45/46 low and 180 main would help too. It may need a carb cleaning as well. If it's FI, then a fueler may be needed but otherwise do what is posted above.

hello there i had the same problems . but after a few tanks of sunoco 93 octane it really seems to have cleaned things up . running nicely now .

Keep in mind with todays newer fuels that anything lower than the 93 octane is really low grade fuel. I remember when Sunoco had 103 as the high test. Use 93 octane for best results. You'll even get some ping with 93 on a hot day so that tells you something there.

Glider is 100% correct on getting old fuel out. 2007 should be fuel injected so be careful how much Gumout you use because you are going through an HD fuel pump which I'm sure you don't want to replace.

I have an 07 Nightster and have noticed the ping that Glider mentions (using 93 Octane). Only on full throttle, and only on hot days.

Also, because of the possibility of mixing the fuel at the pump when all grades of fuel use the same hose, I try and locate gas stations that have separate hoses for each grade of fuel. These are getting harder and harder to find!

Good luck,

Ride safe.

Jake

Yes definitely get the old fuel out. Also use a good quality fuel stabilizer if the bike is going to be idle for an extended period of time.

i was wrong...it's an 04 and is carbed....been running 94 octane and seems to have taken care of the problem. keep you all posted.

Back