free website stats program Costs of the FatBoys | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Costs of the FatBoys

I'm not sure about LA... but here in CT (and I think most states), purchasing a bike without a license is allowed. I bought my bike without a license (though I couldn't take it for a test ride), and then went and got my permit. I then took the MSF course sponsored by my local dealer (won't go into that)... other then to say, passed it, and then brought the certificate in to get my regular M (motorcycle) license. So I'm not sure where your friends got that info, but it sounds skewed. I think you can purchase the bike, but you can't have it on the road (legally) without at least a permit, and of course, your M license permanently. The nice thing about taking a course like MSF, is that you get a discount on your insurance by passing, as well as learning the proper techniques to basic riding skills. The rest, is practice.

It should help. Go to the source, I say, not your buds, especially if they don't ride. How would they know for certain?

thanks, thats what I figured you had to do, or could...but yes I intend on taking the safety course in March or at least by May. But yeah I know most of the laws for LA in this stuff, I have 4 friends who have harleys and when they go to rallies in AK they dont wear theyre helments, which I think is stupid on their part, but it just depends on whether or not you wanna save you head in a crash, lol...but anyway thanks again to all who helped me out, I really appreciated it.. I guess thats all the ?z I have for now, I'm sure I'll think up some more.. :D

thanks to all, I just needed a general idea of how much i needed to get started....now just ONE more question..lol...

Ok, I don't know how they do it in any other states, much less mine, but I'm in Louisiana, and from the same friends who do not own bikes told me "you can't buy a motorcycle without a licinse, but you can't take the driving test without a motorcycle"...whatever sense that makes...IF this is the case, then how do you take the test?-borrow a bike, or rent one, or is this just some dumb rumor? lol I really appreciate all the help yall! :)

but $500 a year to me ain't all that bad, so I guess that shows you what people who don't own bikes know...lol

I really appreciate all the help yall!! :)

I would sugest taking a riders course through you local dealer,
community gollage, or parks dept. which is sponsered by the Motoercycle safety foundation M.S.F. and when you pass the
course just take you certifficat and your permit to the Licinse office and get your licinse you shouldn't have to take road test. Unless law is diferrent in La.

ok thanks...

ok my friend got a progressive quote for me today, and she came out with like $240 a month for a 20 year old on you parents insurance...I'mm prolly have to go with State Farm, but that's much more than $50 a month, i didn't know age, unmarried and whatever would make it that much more, lol, but I guess it does...does that price sound about right for a 18-20 single woman?

Back