free website stats program Cost for replacing a Primary Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Cost for replacing a Primary Cover

Hello, if there is anyone out there that would know about what it should cost to replace a Primary cover on my 2008 Nightster, I would appreciate your input. Is it something I could easily do myself? I am new to the Harley world and this forum, so I am looking for some good advise.

Thank you!

Not familiar with the Sportster, but could have done it on my Dyna when I had it off to add forward controls. In general, you are looking at the cost of a new cover, oil to replace the primary fluid, and a new gasket. Should be pretty easy to do it yourself with a good torque wrench and the right tools. Maybe 30-60 minutes max depending on your comfort level.

Not familiar with the Sportster, but could have done it on my Dyna when I had it off to add forward controls. In general, you are looking at the cost of a new cover, oil to replace the primary fluid, and a new gasket. Should be pretty easy to do it yourself with a good torque wrench and the right tools. Maybe 30-60 minutes max depending on your comfort level.

Sorry but you forgot the service manual and it can be used on every job you do on your bike

Brian

Sorry but you forgot the service manual and it can be used on every job you do on your bike

Brian
Is the HD dealer the place to get the shop manual? Also, what tools would you recommend I purchase for working on my bike? Thank you for your input.

David

Yes, HD is the place to get the manual, will cost you about $60, but save you a lot of headaches.

Here is a torque suggestion Torque Wrench Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community. There are a few others too, just do a few different searches and you will find some great info.

In general, you will need a good quality torque wrench (Lbs and inches), recommendation above. Hex sockets, and a set of torx sockets that fit on your torque wrench. That should give you what you need, at least for this job. When you have the manual it will tell you what tools you need for specific jobs.

Well...a/o today its cost me over $2500 because you don't just stop w/primary cover...;-)

Seriously, depends on which cover you're looking to buy because all are diferent price. You can get them cheaper on-line @ Syrdyke.com & other internet HD sales sites. Be careful w/thoes little torx screws - they like to strip/snap. Have bike level & you shouldn't lose any oil, or swap when changing oil. Follow manual's guidance & you're good to go.

Is it possible to apply some silver high heat paint to the primary cover for the short term until I can afford to replace it? Is there a paint that will match? I know HD has their Silver Bead Blast but I have headr that only adheres to bare metal. Any suggestions on this? thank you.

David

Is it possible to apply some silver high heat paint to the primary cover for the short term until I can afford to replace it? Is there a paint that will match? I know HD has their Silver Bead Blast but I have headr that only adheres to bare metal. Any suggestions on this? thank you.

David

I would just bite the bullet and leave it. Save your pesos until you are ready to go. You might surf the net (eBay, etc.) and see if you can find one that someone else has taken off for other reasons.

TQ

Back