free website stats program corvette air shocks on touring bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

corvette air shocks on touring bikes

oldcoyote

Has anyone installed some of the Monroe air shocks on a Harley touring bike.
If so what bushing modifications were necessary. I have heard people used the 1963 Vett application. A Monroe MA 785. For $85.00
There may be other brands also.

Re: corvett air shocks on touring bikes

I've seen it and read about it... doing a quick Google search I came up with Energy Suspension 9.9105G bushings. I think you need to do a 1/8" line with a T mod too.

Someone else can chime in, if they have a better understanding or recommendation.

This is probably a question that is begging to be asked. Why would it be desirable to install shocks for a Corvette that weighs approx. 3.400 pounds divided by 2= 1,700 pounds, on a 900 pound motorcycle. So if the rear shocks only have to support approx. 500lbs it would seem that the Corvette shocks would be a bit excessive. The adjustability of Monroe air pressure is rated at 20psi to 150psi. Would bike ride like it has a solid suspension???? I would think that there is much better options.

From description of shocks.
The Max-Air shock absorber is ideal for vehicles that haul heavy loads or tow trailers. Designed to maintain level vehicle height, they can be inflated or deflated as needed...from 20 psi to 150 psi with the vehicle loaded. Capacity is limited by vehicle suspension, tires and transmission. See vehicle owner's manual for details.

This is probably a question that is begging to be asked. Why would it be desirable to install shocks for a Corvette that weighs approx. 3.400 pounds divided by 2= 1,700 pounds, on a 900 pound motorcycle. So if the rear shocks only have to support approx. 500lbs it would seem that the Corvette shocks would be a bit excessive. The adjustability of Monroe air pressure is rated at 20psi to 150psi. Would bike ride like it has a solid suspension???? I would think that there is much better options.

From description of shocks.
The Max-Air shock absorber is ideal for vehicles that haul heavy loads or tow trailers. Designed to maintain level vehicle height, they can be inflated or deflated as needed...from 20 psi to 150 psi with the vehicle loaded. Capacity is limited by vehicle suspension, tires and transmission. See vehicle owner's manual for details.
Agreed!
My first thought were the weight difference between a car and motorcycle.
Not a good idea in my mind.

I have the Gabriels. It is a better ride, I have the option as to the height of the bike. I can lower it to get on (my wife) or I can raise it to keep my pipes from draggin the drive ways that are steep. As for the shock mods (I bought mine already done from a guy that was going to install this set up & went another route) the bushings were already done. I am glad I did it. There are some bumps that I keep hitting going to work (it sounded like it was going to fall a part with the stock shocks), smooth as can be with the Gabriels. There are several forums that have all the info you need, I can pm you the info on the other forums if you want. If you run a air tank, it can go up & down fairly quick, if you use a compressor it is a little slow.

Toby

I have the Gabriels. It is a better ride, I have the option as to the height of the bike. I can lower it to get on (my wife) or I can raise it to keep my pipes from draggin the drive ways that are steep. As for the shock mods (I bought mine already done from a guy that was going to install this set up & went another route) the bushings were already done. I am glad I did it. There are some bumps that I keep hitting going to work (it sounded like it was going to fall a part with the stock shocks), smooth as can be with the Gabriels. There are several forums that have all the info you need, I can pm you the info on the other forums if you want. If you run a air tank, it can go up & down fairly quick, if you use a compressor it is a little slow.

Toby

You have me curious. What Gabriels and more details of the system would be good.:bigsmiley11:

You have me curious. What Gabriels and more details of the system would be good.:bigsmiley11:

Me too. I need to replace the OE shocks and I would love to find an effective, low cost option.

This is from another forum that I got started. I have Gabriels #49304. I would post the link if it won't cause any riff or break the rules. Or if you pm me I can give it to you. There are a couple of good write ups on different forums. Just did a search harley diy air ride parts list cut & paste & should get you a lot of info also.

Toby

"First I started with the compressor, I went with the Arnott 092c (120 psi) They average about $60.

My buddy had the solenoid still in plastic, he sold me that for $20

Air line.. (1/4" x 15') $5 (1/8 x 20') Included with the shocks.

Hand full of quick release fittings in 1/4 and 1/8 -$10
I used : (3) 1/8-1/4 pipe (2 for the shocks, and 1 for the release)
(1) 1/4-1/4 pipe (for the air supply in from the compressor)

And the shocks them selves... Monroe (MA785) for 60's-80's Corvette. $74.99 (Pepboys or O'Reiley) Here's the tricky part.. The lower mounts have to be cut and have an insert pressed into them to make them fit correctly on the bolt. Also... The upper bushings have to be removed and replaced with a proper fitting set, we used urethane, and stainless inserts

TOTAL...
$83 Shocks (after tax)
$20 Shock mods (bushings and inserts)
$80 Compressor (tax & shipping)
$20 Solenoid
$5 Air lines
$10 Fittings
$118

So essentially $220 but that's because I got my buddies prices on everything (lines, fittings, the solenoids are usually like $80, and free labor)"

Please explain "the lower mounts have to be cut"; I am not cutting anything, nor will I be adding a compressor as I am constantly looking for ways to remove weight from the bike.

However, I am interested in how the shocks perform. Do you use the air to adjust preload or ride height? Can you adjust compression rebound dampening?

Back