free website stats program Converting Auxilary Lights to HID | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Converting Auxilary Lights to HID

Wow, cool looking kit. Check out step #19. High beam is done with a shifted element so that is good. No worry about added tungsten. But using a conventional enclosure, I would think light scatter,"hot spot" and light voids would be a challenge to reduce or eliminate.

But it's 1/2 of the puzzle or complete project and looks nice..

I do like the wiring harness they are suppling. The kits I have been seeing are not made for Harley alone and you have to adapt some of the wiring at the harness to the old light fixture. The kit is about $100 more than other aftermarket kits but much cheaper than the harley kit. Add $40 and get the e code reflector and it could be great.

I am not knocking Eggbeater, I looked at that same kit while I was looking, but I am not sure why you would pay $149 for the Drag Specialties kit when you can pick up the DDMTuning kit for less than $50. It also uses the shifting element for high beams. Throw in the RallyLights e-code headlight reflector for another $40 and you have still saved $50.

The DDM HID kit can be seen here:
Single Hi-Lo Motorcycle HID Kit

The RallyLights e-code reflectors are here:
7" Hella 7 inch Round H4 Headlamps
5 3/4" Hella 5 3/4 inch Round E-Code Headlamps

Of course talking about high/low we are talking headlights rather than aux lights, but you can get the DDM HIDs for the aux lights here:
Dual Motorcycle HID Kit

I can say that with the DDM headlight install, the only thing I needed to do for the install was change the connectors on the ends of the hot and ground, from a ring to a spade. Under the fairing, at least in the Glide series, it includes the HID wiring because HD needs it to be there to sell their HID kit. The wiring is there and ready to go with a small terminal change. I won't have the same luck on the aux lights, but I think I can make it through that.

Good point Menmia. The thing I did like about the drag kit was the plug into the existing lighting. All of the kits so far did not have this. Just as you said you had to change to a spade on the connector end. I guess for the money difference that is a no brainer.

As for the DDM aux kit. Does the same apply with the wiring? Thanks for the links. Very helpful.

Plug and play is the way to go. Nice to have kit install with no splicing...worth the money in my book.

NewHD74fan,
I don't think there is any splicing with the other kits. I think all you have to do is to change the connectors on the new wiring harness to accomidate the Harley Light plug. Its probably $2 or $3 in parts. I do like the plug and play but to save $100 and not see any difference it is an option. Menmia could describe the process better since he just did this.

I know this is old, but good.
The Auxiliary Lighting kit I bought has 4.5" bulbs.
Will I have to get 5.5" housings or is what I have the same?

Back