free website stats program Converting Auxilary Lights to HID | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Converting Auxilary Lights to HID

Hoople,
Good info. I recently looked at a HID kit at the local NAPA. I think the ballist said 35w and the bulb was like one of your pictures. The guy that worked there had one on his Harley. I hope to check it out the next time he brings it in. When I do I will let you know. As far as the reflector, what is your opinion?

As far as the reflector, what is your opinion?

It's just my opinion. What Mattman said at entry point #2 of this thread is absolutely true. It takes a special enclosure to really do it properly. Yes you can just take a D2R Xenarc bulb that was retrofitted to a standard base (9004, 9007, H1 etc) and install it in a regular fixture but there are several things to consider.

1) These bulbs put out enormous heat. Will your fixture be able to handle it.
2) Do you care if everyone that passes you on the highway flashes their lights at you.
3) You will loose your Hi-beam because the Hi beam for a HID capsule is created by shifting the bulb with a solenoid in most cases. There are no 2 "filament" HID bulbs. Hi beam is either an auxiliary bulb or a solenoid mechanical shift.
4) The enormous amount of light that comes out of HID is possible because of very high capsule pressures. As the bulb heats up, the metal gases vaporize and the pressure in the bulb will reach several hundred psi. Because of this the bulbs really don't like being turned off and restarted without a cool down. I did not say you COULD NOT restart a hot bulb. Just saying they don't like it.

There is NO DOUBT that they offer the greatest amount of Pure white light available. Once you try them you will be in awe. And on top of that they draw 1/2 the current of a regular tungsten bulb.

If the filament you now have in your headlight is in the enclosure facing front to rear, you can make the system work but it will take some elbow grease and know how. If your present filament is facing side to side, I would move on and just buy the HD brand HID kit (68094-06C or 68043-06B) if you own a Glide.
If Harley made a HID kit that fit my Dyna I would be the 1st in line to buy it even if it was $1,000. That is no joke. I love HID that much. But I also understand the complications in installing your own retrofit..

We will have to see what menmia has to say after the install. Two aux hid lights and a headlamp hid I'm sure it will make a huge difference. Hoople, thanks for the education in HID's.

I did not lose my hi beam with the kit I bought.

The kit I bought replaced the reflector and lens on the headlamp and the aux lights. Works wonderful...

Last edited by a moderator:
The kit I bought replaced the reflector and lens on the headlamp and the aux lights. Works wonderful...

What kit did you install. Any pics.

I'm wondering where all the ballasts are going to fit. I already have space issues inside my batwing with amp, huge gps/xm antennas, ez-pass and so on.

So it sounds like you got,,

A high voltage power supply with Ballast.
A Xenarc plasma arc bulb
A new Reflector and lens (mine look sealed, as a complete housing/enclosure assembly)
A system with "Hi beam" interrogation.

All for $100. That's a steal. I want one. Would you have an Ebay auction number or link, I would like to jump on that also.

Hoople, I appreciate your HID education. I have learned a lot reading through the posts. I don't feel like you are raining on my parade at all, I welcome the information. (EDIT), I would ride in the rain anyway.

I just pulled out the kits I bought and the bulbs do look like the pictures you posted. When I referenced them looking like the existing bulbs, I was referring to the housing more than anything. The kit with high/low does use a solenoid shift for high beam.

I don't know the answer about the dealer selling 55w and 35w options other than it sounds like they are offering different lumen levels. Here is a quote from the dealer:

"This system provides 3200-3400 Lumens at 35 watts and an amazing 5000 Lumens at 55 watts per bulb. In comparison, a typical halogen bulb produces 900-1200 lumens." -DDMTuning
On the reflector, I understand that there will be a brighter light coming out of the bulb, but I can't understand how it makes the lighting worse than the current bulb. If I reflect a brighter bulb with the same reflector won't it shine further? I do understand that I need to consider the drivers coming my direction, and I would think that I could change the direction to be able to lower the light so that it does not shine up into the oncoming driver's eyes. Then the high beam would raise the beam rather than make it brighter. I use high beams so rarely that I am not too worried about them honestly as long as I can get it lower than the oncoming drivers eyes.

Hey, if this science project fails, it won't be the first time I went down a road that didn't pan out. All I know is that I want more light in front of me as I move forward, and I can't afford to pay the HD prices.

Hoople, again, I do honestly appreciate the information.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I have no idea why, but 25% of the dialogues I have with other members result in Red ink. Is it my out spoken opinion because I know I have one.

Back