free website stats program Converting a 79 FXS to 5 Spd. Belt Drive? | Harley Davidson Forums

Converting a 79 FXS to 5 Spd. Belt Drive?

hogrotten

I'm building a 1979 Low Rider and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possibile to use a five speed with belt drive.

I apreciate any info I might get, thnx Hogrroten. :D

I'm building a 1979 Low Rider and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possibile to use a five speed with belt drive.

Take a look at the Phoenix, AZ, Craigslist. There is a 5 speed tranny that the seller says came out of a 1983 shovelhead FXR. Search under "FXR".

The listing has a phone number. He might know if there is enough space for the pulleys. I suspect there is not, but don't have first-hand knowledge.

Good luck.

It is possible. They make a aftermarket five speed that will bolt on your bike. I do not think a Stock Harley Five Speed Transmssion will bolt in with out major changes.

Are you wanting to go primary and secondary belt drive?

It is possible. They make a aftermarket five speed that will bolt on your bike. I do not think a Stock Harley Five Speed Transmssion will bolt in with out major changes.

Are you wanting to go primary and secondary belt drive?

No, just thinkin about belt for the secondary. I'm not that fond of chains to much maintenance and grime.:bigsmiley15:

you`ll need a 4 to 5 speed case(sputhe,baker,S&S or revtech)find a 5 speed trans,install it in the case,now youll need a STURGIS inner primary,belt and a ft & rear pully,done.we`ve done it,not a real big deal,but not cheap either

Cool, thanx prodrag.So the 5 in a 4 tranny,fx sturgis inner primary and sprockets? Supose we'll need a wheel from a sturgis to correct?

Thank ya sir!
weren't the sturgis bikes belt primary and secondary? If so will the inner primary work with a chain primary set-up?

When doing this conversion you will need to change the swingarm as the "sturgis" swingarm is wider.

If he is only changing the secondary to belt. Will he still have to change swingarm. I had 1983 FLHS with stock secondary belt drive, chain primary.

Back