free website stats program Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Conversion Cams: Roller Chain Drive Up-grade

My indys name is John. You can reach him at (removed by TQ). He is in Indianna. You can probably get it cheaper through Zanotti's but I couldn't be bothered. Like I said this kit is complete and he is a square shooter. I am in Canada and he worked with me on shipping. I had the order in less than a week which is super service for cross border transaction. I would give you a phone number but he says it is pretty usless because of noise in the shop. When you email him include your phone number and he will get back to you quickly.

Ken

Ken,

Contacted Herko, and got all set up.

But I have a question for you. Did you use adjustable pushrods or did you pull the tops and the rockers to get the one piece rods out? If you used adjustable rods, did you replace the pushrod tubes/covers with ones that extend down lower so they are easier to push up out of the way to adjust the rods? If you did, where did you get them, and what is the part number.

TQ

TQ, I used the S/E adj. pushrods, they come with the proper tubes and clips. When you are adjusting them support the tube with a bugee cord or a clothes pin, I like the bungee it gives a bit more room too work

TQ, I used the S/E adj. pushrods, they come with the proper tubes and clips. When you are adjusting them support the tube with a bugee cord or a clothes pin, I like the bungee it gives a bit more room too work

Darn! Missed those when I was huntin'. Ordered the bits and pieces from different sources. If they don't arrive today or tomorrow morning, I am gonna wander over to the HD shop and pick up the SE set (assume you mean these #17997-99A). This is the only stuff I am lacking to swarm this thing.

BTW, did you knock the floor board and the pipe off, or did you just hack off an allan wrench to slip in between the cover and the pipe. I may have asked you that before!!

TQ

The pipe has to come off. I backed all the pipe clamps off and pryed the rear muffler and pipe back, I used a rachet tie down strap wrapped around the rear pipe and anchored it and pulled the rear assembly back. There is just enough clearance to slip the header out. I think I just loosend the floor board and swung it out of the way.

The pipe has to come off. I backed all the pipe clamps off and pryed the rear muffler and pipe back, I used a rachet tie down strap wrapped around the rear pipe and anchored it and pulled the rear assembly back. There is just enough clearance to slip the header out. I think I just loosend the floor board and swung it out of the way.

I took it all off when I replaced the tensioner, but hate messing with the head pipe. Bear! I think I will give it a shot with the pipe on, but if it won't work, then I will pull it off. Will rock the the floorboard down. That is what I did the last time, and obviously I am gonna take off the lowers. Saw somebody talking about loosening the front mount and jacking up the engine enough to pull the front pipe off. Hmmm. Not sure about that plan!

TQ

TQ I was just looking at my parts list and the push rods are S/E premium#18404-08

OK. So you reused the stock pushrod covers with no problem? Was easy enough to push them up to get to the pushrod adjusters?

TQ

No the new 18404-08 p/r come with new shorter clips and 1 shorter tube. You also reuse 1 of the original tubes. I use a small bungee to keep the lower tube raised while adjusting the p/r.

No the new 18404-08 p/r come with new shorter clips and 1 shorter tube. You also reuse 1 of the original tubes. I use a small bungee to keep the lower tube raised while adjusting the p/r.

OK, got it. Just reread the description on latus-harley-davidson.com and see that in the last line. Excellent. Thanx.

Did not get in some of the stuff I needed to do the job yesterday, and don't want to start until I have everything I need. May have to wait until next W.E. to get her done.

TQ

Woods brothers make them but besides the advertizement I haven't heard anything about them. I installed the s&s Gear drive. Works great but gets a little noisy when good a warm.

Back