free website stats program Contemplating Replacing 1999 Charging System | Harley Davidson Forums

Contemplating Replacing 1999 Charging System

flit

Need some advice.. I have a 1999 FXDS-Conv Superglide, I just had the Geared Cams, lifters and all the other parts in there installed new. It is still at the shop and contemplating having the charging system replaced while it is there. Does anyone have any idea what is a dependable charging system for this bike, and what is a reasonable price I should pay. Might even attempt to do myself if I knew what to look for in a charging system. I believe this is the last snafoo to repair due to HD mistakes. :newsmile055:

For what they are doing on your bike, there is no reason they have opened up the primary. Why do you want to replace the "charging" system? It is a STATOR, ROTOR and a VOLTAGE REGULATOR. That is it. If you do not have a reason to do it, I would suggest not. However, if you have been having problems, or if for some reason they have opened up the primary case and it smelled like burnt oil, get after it.

TQ

What's wrong with the one you have now? You could have a new stator put it, if it's been a long time, just as preventive medicine.

I'm freakish about getting stranded, the shop informed me that there has been problems in charging systems (magnets coming off the rotor) in the 99 models along with the chain tensioners causing problems. They were correct about the cams and tensioners, they were a mess at 34,000. My only thought was to get it done while it was still at the shop (saving pickup and delivery) plus 25% labor discount during winter months. :newsmile093:

I'd amost be willing to bet that the charging system has been updated some how since 1999, especially since the 99 models are so well known for the magnets falling off:)
25% off is a good deal, but 100% off of something you don't need is even better, you never know when somethings going to go, deal with it then.

This is good advice from the others, if theres nothing wrong with your charging system theres no reason to replace. But you can get a good idea by smelling your primary oil.

OEM parts probably have been updated, look up the part number at Zanotti's and see if there is an "alpha" letter change (HD's part number system reflecting revision changes).

Need some advice.. I have a 1999 FXDS-Conv Superglide, I just had the Geared Cams, lifters and all the other parts in there installed new. It is still at the shop and contemplating having the charging system replaced while it is there. Does anyone have any idea what is a dependable charging system for this bike, and what is a reasonable price I should pay. Might even attempt to do myself if I knew what to look for in a charging system. I believe this is the last snafoo to repair due to HD mistakes. :newsmile055:
What CAMS did you use? Are you still at 88 cu in or 95 big bore?
NOT KNOWING YOU OR YOUR BIKE. mileage on it? What shape its in , paint and tins.
ONE owner or ? , YOU bot new..?????

If YOU have MONEY to TOSS at it, I would of strongly recommended to change OUT the OIL PUMP and CAM SUPPORT PLATE if not already...

NOT knowing what PARTS you meant by
"and all the other parts in there installed new..." what are the OTHER NEW PARTS....???

A lot more information is need FROM YOU,,,,,

UNLESS you only wanted to know about A DEPENDABLE CHARGING SYSTEM TO USE???????

ANSWER YOUR QUESTION dependable ONLY ,
I would say STICK TO HARLEY STOCK REPLACEMENT PARTS by that I mean replace ALL the stator and outer mag rotor using Parts from HD, as they have improved with the better NEWER replacement parts for that year ...

NOW IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION from ME!

YOU can read a lot about the 1999/2000 bikes if you WEED THRU some of my post... Click on my name BUBBIE to the left above my title and bike,,,, YOU will get information ,,, LOTS of stuff about that year and MODEL ... I owned a FXDS 2000 EARLY model year that was full of NEEDED TO CHANGE OUT ITEMS...

I put over 50,000 on a gear drive REBUILD and made a very HIGH PERFORMANCE motor... 6 speed tranny and MUCH MORE.. YOU will learn a lot about YOUR 1999 by going there... WAY TOO MUCH STUFF TO REPEAT HERE... for the many who have HEARD IT ALL BEFORE.......

signed....BUBBIE

Back