free website stats program Considering Ultra Classic - Suggestions? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Considering Ultra Classic - Suggestions?

WOW! Thanks to all who replied to my post! It is greatly appreciated. I am slowly building my wish list for Ultra and will be discussing further with the local dealer. Appreciate all the advice - and no one even suggested selling the Guzzi! :lero

...............and no one even suggested selling the Guzzi! :lero[/QUOTE]
Because we all know you will come to your senses without us having to suggest anything.:bigsmiley22:

Couple of quick comments on the Ultra. As mentioned above, you may want to see what HD says in July about the new models just for consideration.

FTF, change all the fluids and oil filter (as soon as you get it home) based on this:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Heat will be a consideration. Being in Canada, it may not be as worrisome depending on where you are gonna go. I take off my lower fairings in the Spring-Fall down here in Texas (> 37* during the day!!). But you may want to consider an oil cooler for the engine. HD's or Jagg's are easy to do.

The engine will be factory setting lean out the door. If you do high flow air cleaner and freer flowing exhaust, that will get worse. TFI is user friendly plug and play fueler that you can adjust as needed. Race tuners and other tuner type devices require more fiddling. Don't buy an HD remap. Get an adjustable option.

Depending on your stature, you may need to consider lowering the bike. If you do, go with HD stuff and do both front and rear the same amount. In any event, pack ALL the heaviest stuff first in the boxes from the bottom up. Leave the light stuff for the Tour-Pak.

I don't have one yet, but most folks rave about their back rests. If I was headed out on the road for some distance riding, I would definitely get one.

I upgraded my speakers when the HD ones tubed. Just went to Walmart (looks like they stopped carrying them) and got some Pioneers 2-way 25 Watt RMS (like these Pioneer TS-G1342R (tsg1342r) 5-1/4" Speakers Car Speakers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix). They sound much better than the original speakers.

I have changed to the REACH seat for the reasons sighted in the posts above. I personally love the seat but more importantly, I like how stable the bike now feels after lowering front & back and lowering me with the REACH. The bike is a joy to ride.

TQ

I'm on my second ultra and would agree with some of the other post that the backrest is well worth it. I also like a softer grip than you get from the factory. The pipes and tuners and chrome well some of us think that a must but you can make that decision. A salesman told me once buy an ultra first and you won't be back in a few months wanting to trade.

Hoghunter

Hey Hoghunter,
I live in Bushland......let's go ride sometime!
Later,
JKJunkie

Really enjoying mine. Have a roadstar silverado that I rode for 10 months and put almost 11,000 miles on. Bought the ultra classic a month ago and have only ridden the roadstar several times since.

The ultra classic is a true touring bike and is very smooth once you get above idle speed.

Add another vote for Ultra. Just got mine 4 days ago and am Ultra-pleased with the decision.

But to echo what others have said, I did 500 miles yesterday and today. So I'll have my 1000 mile service on monday.

Part of their work order is to put on a backrest.

To go along with HarleyHarry, I too am looking at an Ultra... or a Electra Glide... My biggest thing is trying to decide if the extra money is worth options of the Ultra, I don't think I really need or care to have... now. I am mostly speaking of the lighting on the tour pak, extra speakers at the rear of the bike, and intercom... I am missing something?

Oh BTW... I will be selling my 08 Black Pearl Street Glide.

Last edited:
To go along with HarleyHarry, I too am looking at an Ultra... or a Electra Glide... My biggest thing is trying to decide if the extra money is worth options of the Ultra, I don't think I really need or care to have... now. I am mostly speaking of the lighting on the tour pak, extra speakers at the rear of the bike, and intercom... I am missing something?

Oh BTW... I will be selling my 08 Black Pearl Street Glide.

Just ride one for a few miles. You won't want to get off of it! Besides, you can never have enough lights.:s

I've just joined the forum, but like you I also Canadian , and I ride a 2008 Ultra. I put on about 10,000 miles a year or more and find it very comfortable, and mine is stock with ABS brakes (get this item) except for a little Bling. If anything, go for the adjustable backrest. I also had the security system installed with the siren. Good for piece of mind!
Enjoy.

Back