Considering Ultra Classic - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by canadianrider, Jun 12, 2009.

1. canadianrider

canadianrider New Member

I am considering buying a 2009 Ultra Classic. I have ridden a number of bikes in the past and currently own a 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge. Reason I am considering Ultra Classic - want a nice comfy couch for riding. I want comfort - nice seat, good back support, good tunes (would like to hook in my mp3 player to stereo system), storage space. That's why the HD Ultra is being considered.

I am wondering what people have put on their bikes asap after buying - or wished they would have. Drivers backrest? stage one kit? slip on mufflers? alarm system? ABS? Different windshield?

The bikes I have had were pretty good at getting up and going - usual cruising speed was not the "recommended" version on the signs. I also like to put in long days - 10 -> 12 hours, 1000 - 1200km.

Altho not a current "Hog pilot", I look forward to trying out a new ride. Any and all suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. And no, I won't be selling the Norge! <grin> :s so thanks for the suggestion in advance.
  2. Doug_09ultra

Doug_09ultra Junior Member

Welcome canadianrider! Well, as you might guess from my user name I am familiar with what you are considering. I have only been riding a few months but I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with an ultra. It is as you say, a nice comfy couch. I would suggest that you invest in the adjustable backrest. It has made a comfortable ride even more so. Also if you have the choice, go with the ABS. I wish I had. As far as the stage one kit goes, I did mine before I picked it up but it is something you could wait to do if you want. (My stage one is detailed in my sig.) I doubt that you'll be disappointed in the power of the ultra as well as the 6 speed trans. along with all the other "perks" it a sweet ride indeed.
  3. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

If you can, try a Road Glide before you decide.
  4. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I have the Classic and it is by far the most comfortable long haul bike I have owned. Stage1,pipes and TFI really wakes them up if you want it to have a bit more power and less engine heat.
  5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

I have no regrets. I love my bike.
  6. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

I have an 08 Ultra, love the bike. Gotta haves for comfort: Better seat (I chose Mustang), adjustable backrest, road pegs, aileron hand grips. For performance: Slip on mufflers, full flow air cleaner, TFI. For looks: Enough chrome bling to suit your taste. :)
  7. phatch

phatch Member

I have an '03 Ultra and have done numerous long distance hauls with it. I recently put on a back rest which has enhanced the ride considerably. Enjoy.
  8. oakhill200

oakhill200 Member

Love my 08 ultra.
  9. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

If you are going to go with the ultra and you love your music then go with the hog tunes , th ultra stereo sounded great until i started riding 70 MPH , whipped in the hogtunes and wow what a difference , i went with the extra speakers and amp , all plug and play , also I am a short person and went with the reach seat and was dissapointed on long rides , I had swapped it from a road zepplin , in the end I added an extra inch in my boots and went back to the zepplin , long rides are nothing with this seat and adjustable back rest, and with the new power I dont know how much you need to change as I find the 88 plenty power enough with the slip on pipes and K and N filter , good luck and there is a lot of info on this site , you need to look no where else , there is some super smart moderators here.
  10. IR Rick

IR Rick Active Member

I have had my Ultra Classic less then a month with over 3000 mile on it now LOVE It
    fun bike to ride, and my wife loves the back seat