free website stats program Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater

Maybe starter - ring gear problems

Thanks for the replies. I'm hip to the starter ring gear issues Jack. I do have issues with my starter not staying engaged until it fires up. Mostly when I've been ridin in the rain. Living in the Northwest, that's often. I've been told that they make a heavy duty ring gear. Not that it will fix the starter issue, but I should change the ring gear because the factory equipment is weak?

Thanks for the replies. I'm hip to the starter ring gear issues Jack. I do have issues with my starter not staying engaged until it fires up. Mostly when I've been ridin in the rain. Living in the Northwest, that's often. I've been told that they make a heavy duty ring gear. Not that it will fix the starter issue, but I should change the ring gear because the factory equipment is weak?

When mine was done i talked to the Tech and he said he has seen the ring gears bad on the 07 models a lot:s

I just bought a 2007 heritage softail classic from a Harley dealer with 2600 miles . The engime rattles when throttled.Dealership says this is normal but the sound worries me ..a lot . This is my first harley, I have been riding 40 years , no bike I ever owned sounded like this .Could this be what you are talking about ?

make sure your bike has no upgrades when you buy it or they will void your warranty when you have a problem!!

You sure about that? If you are talking about a used bike from a dealership that already has upgrades and they offer you an extended warranty the burden of proof would be on their dime

Those noises are normal i think. My old evo sounds about the same way. Under hard acceleration at low RPM they all "tink" a little after you've put a few miles on it. Come to think of it... So does my old chevy truck with a 350ci. I couldn't hear my Harley doing it until i put a quieter exhaust on. I also get a little chatter every once in a while coming from my primary, its pretty normal.
If its a new noise since your last service you might ask if they've messed with the timing any. If its just been slowly appearing, i think its fairly normal and not a lot to worry about. Ride her till the wheels fall off, then rebuild.

OK I will ride mine until the wheels fall off or the engine dies but will this condition ruin any other parts of the engine, making a rebuild of the original block impossible?

Back