free website stats program Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater

that is starange they say they have never heard of the issue one of the two dealers i deal with here says they no it is a prob and have had a couple of bike come threw with the problem admit harley could solve the prob by just welding the cranks and the other dealer knows about the problem but says they have yet to see any bikes it has happen to. Both told me they could check my bike for crank run out but if iam wroung it would cost me $450-$500. So at this point I Wouldnt mind paying the 450 to find out my crank is fine and the vibration or buzz is all in my head but i dont wont to pay that and find out i got .011 in.of runout and they arnt goin to do anything about it because it still within spec. I am either gonna wait till Iam closer to the end of my waranty so i might be over the run out spec or see about getting a hold of the gauge and checkin it myself. I have never done any motor cycle engine work but have had my hands in lots of chevy engines and betwwen reading the entire engine section in the service manual and the info and good people on this site i think i could handle it.
you could check it yourself for a $7 cam cover gasket, a $ dollar exhaust gasket, (if you have to remove your pipe) and $146 set of Screaming Eagle Quick Install push rods. ( if you cut you old ones out, so you don't have to disassemble the top end.) You would need a dial indicator and a way to mount it to measure the run out. I don't see how that job would be a $500 job at the dealer unless they're gonna tear the top end apart to save the push rods.

you could check it yourself for a $7 cam cover gasket, a $ dollar exhaust gasket, (if you have to remove your pipe) and $146 set of Screaming Eagle Quick Install push rods. ( if you cut you old ones out, so you don't have to disassemble the top end.) You would need a dial indicator and a way to mount it to measure the run out. I don't see how that job would be a $500 job at the dealer unless they're gonna tear the top end apart to save the push rods.

Spirit97,
Did you use a bolt cutter on your old push rods. I never have done it. Do they cut out easily?
Would you know if the same SE push rods used on your 2007 are the same on my 2009 engine.
By chance would you have the SE part number?

Spirit97,
Did you use a bolt cutter on your old push rods. I never have done it. Do they cut out easily?
Would you know if the same SE push rods used on your 2007 are the same on my 2009 engine.
By chance would you have the SE part number?

As I recall his story, yes he cut them out with some bolt cutters. That is what I did with mine when I did the roller chain conversion. The OEM pushrods cut very easily and then come out with no fuss-no muss! Probably overkill, but I did wrap some paper towel around the bottom section below where I was gonna cut just to make sure nothing fell anywhere need the inside of the engine.

As for what SE adjustables will fit your '09 Dyna, check these out:

18404-08

Zanotti's lists them for $132.61.

I used the VThunder kit:

V Thunder: Push-Rod Kit: "Fast Times" Twin Cam Push-Rod Kit

But these are pushrods only. With the SE kit, you get new tubes as well. Better deal if you want the new tubes (makes it easier to adjust).

TQ

you can actually slide the outside push rods out without cutting them if you want to save them. I was told that by a local indi mechanic, so I tried it and it worked. I only got as far as the dis-assembly do the discovery of the pinion shaft run out. (.030") After that I took it to the dealer and they found .044" on the sprocket side of the crank. Harley is sending a replacement engine for free and I get to pay the labor for the swap out so there was no need to put it back together. It's better than a kick in the shorts.

Thanks for the info. LIke i said Iam sure i could do it myself with the service book and yall walkin me threw it just might not want to know what i find out plus not sure how opening it up myself would do to my waranty. It is startin to get scary how many more stock bikes are starting to do this. but Iam still seen more 07 then other years might just be they been around longer and as a whole have more miles on them.

I ride an 07' FLHTC, sometimes pretty hard. The only problems I've had are with the tranny. Any thing I should be looking for other than vibration?

i have a 2010 ultra limited. before it left the shop the factory 103 was takin of and 113 with 266e cams installed the cases were machined and done the timkon bareing uprade. 120.4 hp and all it good. no problems other than breaking belts. but working on chain drive convertion

I ride an 07' FLHTC, sometimes pretty hard. The only problems I've had are with the tranny. Any thing I should be looking for other than vibration?

All symtoms I have heard are the vibration, noise coming from your cam area, low or no oil presure, and more then normal amount of oil in your aircleaner.

Dave

All symtoms I have heard are the vibration, noise coming from your cam area, low or no oil presure, and more then normal amount of oil in your aircleaner.

Dave

Maybe starter - ring gear problems

Back