Confusing engine noise

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by AussieRider, Dec 22, 2008.

1. AussieRider

AussieRider New Member

My 2000 Dyna is making a slight knocking noise in the motor somewhere. Not a particularly loud noise, but very annoying. It has a new set of hydraulic lifters and adjustable push rods.
    Anyone would think it's caught the shovel disease and it sounds like a valve train noise.
    Any advice please.

Kind regards

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

You have to try to localize where the noise is coming from to start with. Take notice if it is on the left or right of the engine or in the primary up forward like a compensator noise.

3. 06SuperG

06SuperG Member

Use a long screw drive and listen to the handle. It sounds and looks even stranger, but it works like a stethoscope.

4. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

I have used a piece of wooden broom handle -- about 10" in length also.

5. FxRs-John

FxRs-John Member

^x2 shovel's dont get diseases, they are the cure!!:D

6. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

We're well aware of that.And so is the MOCO.Did you not know that ALL bikes made for the Australian and New Zealand markets are made differently and have the oil tanks underneath?:D

7. AussieRider

AussieRider New Member

Thanks very much for the humorous amongst the genuine replies. Found the problem, this prime piece of American ingenuity has, by the looks of it, loose main bearings. Probably flogged out the alloy in the cheap (edited) engineered HD cases. Anything to save a buck. I've had 9 Harleys; 3 Hardtails built here at home, thought I'd try a new Twin Cam. This may be the most disappointing. Now where is my old shovel?
    Thanks anyway,
    Enjoy the humor from the jokers.
    Regards

[notes]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    [/notes]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009