free website stats program condensation in speedo & tach | Harley Davidson Forums

condensation in speedo & tach

jamieb

anyone know the best way to get rid of condensation stains on the inside speedo & tach of my '08 low-rider....thanks

Welcome to The Forum, Try a blow dryer or set it in the sun. Common problem with these gauges

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a picture? How did the stain get there? On the glass or under the glass? Is it rust? Rainwater grit? I would try rinsing out the speedo with rubbing alcohol and compressed air. Test a small spot first to make sure it does not remove the ink on the numbers. Get the 90% or better solution cause the 70% can leave a residue.

I had lots of water in the speedo on my Sportster. I'm not sure if it was rain or condensation from the air on rainy days (it was almost always garaged at night). The clean water would not go away without help. I used a magnifying glass to dry out the condensation in the speedo. I purposely found a sunny spot outside, but it did not dry fast enough for me. Just be careful not to concentrate the heat in one place for too long-- one of the numbers began to "bubble". I never had a stain, it didn't sit like that for long.

Good Luck!

:44:

Best way to get rid of that condensation? RIDE THE WHEELS OFF IT! Seriously, if you ride it, the heat from the bulbs in the instruments will dry the condensation. (Plus it gives you another excuse to put your knees in the breeze!)

drill air vent holes (small ones) in bottom of gauge . this will let air in there.
DONT DRILL TO FAR IN just break the surface with drill bit . you could damage the gauge if you go to far.

I think the OP is talking about the residue left over from the condensation after its evaporated, not the condensation itself. Not sure how to remove that other than to take the gauges apart and clean the inside of the plastic cover.
And I don't know about drilling a hole in the gauges as someone suggested. Go for it if you like, but I wouldn't drill a hole in my gauges on my bike.

thanks alot for the replies, the cond. been there for awhile ( and i ride the out of it, sit it in the sun) but it's got like a haze in there now....is there a way to get the glass off and clean it....i'm hearing it's a sealed unit...thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
will send some pics...it's not a real big deal..ya it is..just really bothers me....cause the ride is so clean....well like i said ..i'll send pics and you guys tell me

My Dyna has the same issue/problem. The residue is quite visible to me in certain conditions. In the 90's (maybe still), custom Speedo/Tach backgrounds were popular. Installing them required the bezel be removed by uncrimping. I had 3 friends that had them installed by "professionals" at rally's. All 3 were very sorry they ever messed with the factory seal. Not one person in 20 + years has ever mentioned the stain. I've learned to live with it. My Electra Glide also gets condensation in the gauges from time to time.

Back