free website stats program Condensation in clocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Condensation in clocks

TomH65

Has anyone got any idea how to remove the Perspex cover from the clocks? I ask because when it is a warm sunny day, I get a build up of condensation inside the clocks, forming on the underside of the Perspex.
I presume the clocks may have been dismantled sometime in the past and moisture had got in there before replacing. Or is it a common occurrence?

If you are sayin you have moisture in your speedo this is a common problem, try a blow dryer on the face, you may also put a small vent hole on the back side of the gauge

Yes that's it jack, it's in the speedo and the tacho.
I would have thought that if moisture got in 'naturally', it would have got out too. But due to the laws of physics, when the water evaporates, it will go upwards, therefore, I thought that if I could remove the Perspex/glass cover, I could dry it out. A vent might work but I don't want to spoil anything.
So it is a common problem is it? I thought they might either be sealed units or user serviceable.
Something to ponder on...........
Cheers Jack,

Tom

If the back of the gauges have light bulb ports pull the bulbs from the ports and leave them open for a while. The gauge sitting in the sun should mostly dehumidify its self over time as long as the moisture is given a place to go. A quick solution like said would be to put a blow dryer on the face, having the bulbs out gives the heated humid air more of a place to escape.

My fav solution to moisture in gauges is to pull the gauge off the bike, set it in a container full of rice and seal the container. Set that container on top of a heater vent for a few days and it should be good to go after that.

I havent tried it on a Harley but its worked on pretty much every gauge Ive ever needed to de-humidify, just make sure to pull the light bulb ports so the gauge is "open" and humidity can escape. Also be careful to keep from getting the rice inside the gauge unless you feel like having to pull the gauge apart entirely.

My super glide gauge stated to do that after it was 3 years old always happened after a big temperature change while parked in the garage..but it evaporated shortly after being out in the sun

I used a magnifying glass to dry out the condensation in the speedo on my Sportster. I purposely found a sunny spot outside, but it did not dry fast enough for me. Just be careful not to concentrate the heat in one place for too long-- one of the numbers began to "bubble".

Good Luck!

:44:

I used a magnifying glass to dry out the condensation in the speedo on my Sportster. I purposely found a sunny spot outside, but it did not dry fast enough for me. Just be careful not to concentrate the heat in one place for too long-- one of the numbers began to "bubble".

Good Luck!

:44:

Sounds like worth trying. I never would have thought of that.

I have a 2000 Ultra and the fuel gage did it from day 1. Harley replaced the gage and replacement did the same thing.:(

Back