free website stats program Computer memory | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Computer memory

Per a motorcycle accident investigator, no black box on a motorcycles.
Known as a EDR or "event data recorder", cars record up to 15 seconds of data and almost 15 tidbits of information. A motorcycle may have 2 or 3 seconds of engine management data for the running of the engine, stored in the ECM, nothing more. Not much help to the insurance company or accident scene investigator.

Just a note, "EDR information belongs to the owner of the vehicle. That's why insurance companies and manufacturers will sometimes offer to buy what appears to be a complete wreck after a bad accident", then it is theirs.

Good info..:s
thanks

It can and does store some critical info. During a download of the ECM they can tell if you've ever hit the rev limiter.

The 2011's have the capability of data recording 5 seconds pre and post code setting, for aid in technician diagnosis. This to me is being very stingy in the fact that the reliability and physical size of volatile memory modules are extremely small in comparison to space limitations.

It would seem to me that if more time would be given to look at more data, more of a failure pattern could be determined (if any).

I can pull how fast a car was going with a Snap On scanner when it set a code:s

This is why like the airlines, insurance companies while investigating and recreating crash sites at times will have wrecked vehicle towed to a authorized dealer have ecm scanned, for the data will help in the investigation for the insurance company. Vehicle speed,throttle application,rpm or how stability control was operating etc. This will definitely happen if customer has filed a law suit against manufacture for product liability IE sticking throttle, cruise control or brake failure.
I would think the newer bikes with abs,traction control, riders ability to control ignition mapping, electronic suspensions etc would have the same data retrieving capabilities.

The 2011's have the capability of data recording 5 seconds pre and post code setting, for aid in technician diagnosis. This to me is being very stingy in the fact that the reliability and physical size of volatile memory modules are extremely small in comparison to space limitations.

It would seem to me that if more time would be given to look at more data, more of a failure pattern could be determined (if any).

Oh I think they already know what the MTTF (Mean time till failure) is with pretty much everything on a bike. Everytime they have a warranty claim for a broken part and pay a dealer to fix and repair it, it goes into a database. They know perfectly well where the weak spots are when they are most likely to fail. A perfect example of this is the fact that were having to replace a good many crankshafts a year or so ago because they were "not in tolerance". First thing you know they up the level of tolerance so that most will pass...until they are two or three years old and bingo, the owner is facing a $3000.00 bill for crank replacement. Think about all the ambient air temp gauges they have put into new bikes over the last 10 years or so. Most are off 8-15 degrees or enough off so they are worthless. When riders complain they are told "that is normal and the MOCO does not warranty that part". Usually the rider will order out a brand new oil temp gauge to put in the place of the worthless ambient air temp gauge. Another example that many of us have experienced is the digital oil temp gauge that mounts in the dipstick hole. If you get over a year before it craters, you are indeed lucky. In short we riders end up spending a lot of money on replacement parts that the MOCO knows will fail. Instead of fixing these things and making a better product they use the short time till failure as a significant source of revenue for both the dealer and the manufacturer. The 24 month-no mileage limit warranty is one of the best in the business. It was written by lawyers and will be interpreted by company lawyers whenever it is applied to a claim. I call it "Selective Warranty". The service department at the dealer has a certain amount of leeway when to do warranty work. Many times they won't even agree to do what they think is warranty work until the area rep or factory is notified because they always run the risk of "doing the right thing for the customer" and then not getting compensated by the factory. A few dealers will do the right thing when it comes to customer service, but the majority hide behind the factory and say it is out of their hands even though they know the rider is getting the pickle. That is part of the Harley business model.

Retrop------ It goes to say Corporate profit is the underlying factor. As been discussed on numerous threads on this site.
I knew many years ago when a Mexican restaurants saying was, "if your not happy were not happy" Call 1-800 to complain and this was when taco's were $.39 a piece. I figured the quality in items would start to wane. Guess what!!!! The corporation and warrty departments play the odds. Look at the problems guys are having with the top of the line Harley's. Years ago if you paid a premium for a item you were purchasing a premium product.
When was the last time you had a washer or dryer last 15-20 years. Products have a built in obsolescence. Thats my point.

Retrop------ It goes to say Corporate profit is the underlying factor. As been discussed on numerous threads on this site.
I knew many years ago when a Mexican restaurants saying was, "if your not happy were not happy" Call 1-800 to complain and this was when taco's were $.39 a piece. I figured the quality in items would start to wane. Guess what!!!! The corporation and warrty departments play the odds. Look at the problems guys are having with the top of the line Harley's. Years ago if you paid a premium for a item you were purchasing a premium product.
When was the last time you had a washer or dryer last 15-20 years. Products have a built in obsolescence. Thats my point.

Yes, having been in business myself for 40 odd years, I am quite familiar with the concept you lay out. That fact that Harley's business plan is not what you would call particularly customer friendly was my point. Bye the way, as my bride and myself have traveled the highways of this country for the last 39 years we have stopped in at many Harley stores if for no other reason than to rest and look around. I am always on the lookout for a "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign above the door or in the parts or service department of a authorized Harley Davidson Dealers place of business. I ain't found one yet.

Back