free website stats program Computer memory | Harley Davidson Forums

Computer memory

sprinklerfitter669

Does the computers on the touring bikes, or any bikes, keep memory, like cars?

Some cars computers, can tell, how fast you were going, mods.

Do bikes do the same?
can a HD dealer plug your bike in, and see what you did, like add a tuner, air cleaner exhaust mods.

Does the computers on the touring bikes, or any bikes, keep memory, like cars?

Some cars computers, can tell, how fast you were going, mods.

Do bikes do the same?
can a HD dealer plug your bike in, and see what you did, like add a tuner, air cleaner exhaust mods.

If i have to make a wild guess I would say yes

Probably the new 2011 network controller equipped bikes have sufficient sensors and controller processor power with memory to store this information. Earlier ECM is fairly old generation technology, with only sensors and memory for DTC information storage, and limited instruction set to provide "black box" technology like GM "On Star" system uses or that orange "black box" of commercial aircraft.

Last edited:
Harleys don't have an "orange box" (flight recorder) of sorts. Their limited memory is devoted to remembering codes that the bike has generated. There may be a few things like stored rpms etc., but not a whole lot. There is no way they can tell if you have previously installed new slip on mufflers, air cleaners or other accessories. On some installations of fuel management devices the Digital Technician might see it, expecially the Harley specific hardware. Don't worry Big Brother can't tell if you went 72 mph in a 65 mph zone.

Harleys don't have an "orange box" (flight recorder) of sorts. Their limited memory is devoted to remembering codes that the bike has generated. There may be a few things like stored rpms etc., but not a whole lot. There is no way they can tell if you have previously installed new slip on mufflers, air cleaners or other accessories. On some installations of fuel management devices the Digital Technician might see it, expecially the Harley specific hardware. Don't worry Big Brother can't tell if you went 72 mph in a 65 mph zone.

I can pull how fast a car was going with a Snap On scanner when it set a code:s

If they can figure out that you added, a race tuner, or other eguipment, i am sure their is something tucked away to tell other things :s

Per a motorcycle accident investigator, no black box on a motorcycles.
Known as a EDR or "event data recorder", cars record up to 15 seconds of data and almost 15 tidbits of information. A motorcycle may have 2 or 3 seconds of engine management data for the running of the engine, stored in the ECM, nothing more. Not much help to the insurance company or accident scene investigator.

Just a note, "EDR information belongs to the owner of the vehicle. That's why insurance companies and manufacturers will sometimes offer to buy what appears to be a complete wreck after a bad accident", then it is theirs.

Back