free website stats program computer Code reader | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

computer Code reader

Thanks again for ya'll help. I'm really new at this and it sounds like I might be having a lot of fun this weekend. It's good to know help is only a computer away. Ride safe and always watch out for the other drivers looking to do us harm':small3d023:

I remember the Matco Toolman telling me about a tester called 'Motorscan' it's a $3000.00 unit with software that will read the DTC on any bike with an ECM/ECU. I still want to get one, even though its expensive.

TrikeLady, The MotorScan sounds like an awesome tool. I am sure it covers several models. If you happen to only need to read HD ECM's, for under $500 and a laptop the SEST really packs a lot of power in a small package. Have you checked 1 out?

Read codes, logs real-time data while you ride (15 minutes) for finding problems,,and streams live data for all sensors. Not bad for the money.

Hoople,
Who offers the scanner? It sound like a good deal, I have a laptop that is only a six months old. I was thinking of the MotorScan because of the variety of trikes I work on, but the price 'Ouch!' I need a lot of money for it and a lot of work to make it worth the investment. With people who wish to convert their Ultras to trikes it would be a better investment.
Thank you

TrikeLady, I thought you were looking for scanner to be used on just your own machine (1 bike). The SEST is a Screaming Eagle product but it will only work on the first bike it hooks up to and can not be used on multiple different bikes.

I now see why you were looking at that MotorScan. It is probably more like a Generic OBDII scanner similar to OTC or Snap-On that will work on all makes and models. Big $$ :p

Smitty, I believe those units marry themselves to 1 ECM. Sounds like she needs a true scan tool.

Right, I have prodded my Matco Man to hook me up, He services ST, Augustine H D. They are pretty tight lipped about what scanner they use, im still working on it:s

Nope the first is a basic scan tool that give a lot more data then just reading the on board system.
The second one is a plug in unit that will hook up to a laptop does all the first does and more.
The last one does all that and more yet.
My point is all three would not add up to 1000 let along 3000

Smitty, are you sure the 2nd & 3rd ones do not marry? They look that way to me. The 2nd one actually says it is not for trikes. Why I don't know.

I am just going by what is on the HD site and nothing more. I never have actually tried the 2nd one. I think the 3rd one is the one I own and it does marry.

You have any links to what these units do, or the list of the features? I may be in left field on this and would like to see how they are advertised.

I was looking at the high $$ MotorScan from Matco because it works on any bike with an ECM/ECU. The price, YIKES! Need a lot of engine work to pay for this baby. It's in the back of my mind to get it. I purchased a Power Probe from Matco, best investment made and used many times. I also purchased the Fuse Buddy for all those pesky electrical problems. I'm strange I like electrical problems, most people shy away from them. When you work on GW's you really have to work with electrical systems there.

Back