free website stats program Completed my 10,000 Mile Service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Completed my 10,000 Mile Service

Hey bikernick im glad you did decide to post about doing your 10000 mile service. Im due for mine,a few hundred miles over actually, and am a little apprehensive about doing it myself. I think Ill take your advice and spread it out over a couple days. I also have a '09 road king any other tips or tricks you learned that you could share. what all tools did you need? thanx for any help you can give.

stay shiny side up

With a manual and advice of those here, you will be able to properly perform the 10k service interval. As bikernick has stated it is not a difficult service to perform. So gather up all necessary parts and have at it....

Nothing like that "I did it myself" feeling. Way to go bikernick, it gives me more incentive to do some more work myself. 5K mile service coming up on my Fatboy and 50K on the E-Glide.
Ishmael

.... ... ....Well, I just completed my 10,000 service check and i must say it was easier than anticipated. Armed with the service manual, torque wrenches and a good amount of time - I spread the job out over several days. ...... .....
One of the biggest benefits of doing the maintenance myself is that now I am much more familiar with my bike and it's components.

Glad to hear it. You do become more one with the bike the more you get into doing your own stuff. And many times when you get into one item you will notice another that needs attention that you would not have noticed otherwise.

And while I'm am a big advocate of doing as much of your own stuff as possible for all the reasons, including saving money. It also makes me more understanding to the prices the dealership charges for some of these services. Granted some Dealerships are much higher than others. I have found Clermont H.D. to be about $110 less for the same maintenance as the Lakeland shop. But doing it myself does make me respect their price more with their overhead etc. Just saying.

I bought used and first went to shop to ask how much for a 15,000mi maintenance. When they told me I had that sinking feeling (having just shelled out $10,825.oo for my bike). So I said thanks for the quote and immediately walked from the service desk over to the parts desk and ordered my manual. So far I have never had to go to the dealer for service or repairs.
The guys on this forum help each other tremedously in this area too.
Happy wrenching and riding.

I was in very surprised that after just 1K miles on a brand new bike, you needed to spend another $400 on dealership service.

But it's still not as bad as Boating!:)

JROB4438 - As long as you have a lift - primary additional tools you wll need are the appropriate wrenches and a good torque wrench. If you go to the Harley dealer, they can tell you all the required gaskets, O-rings associated with the specific service interval you are doing. Aside from that....make sure you have the manual. Another good refernce for me was the "Fix my Hog" series of DVDs. This gives you the added benefit of watching an experienced mechanic perform the function and explain it.

Back