free website stats program Complete Oil Change (softail) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Complete Oil Change (softail)

I have a 2009 Dyna Low. I looked at the return oil line from the engine. It does not appear it can be taken apart easily (metal sleeve). Also, the shop manual states - to add approx. 2.8 qt of fresh oil. To me that is the amount the oil the engine takes.

So my question -is there any oil left in the engine to scavenge. I am totally in agreement to get rid of all of the old oil at every change.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Titu.

The oil that is left in the engine is in the oil galleries and passages. On the softail model it can be somewhere around 24-32 ounces, the dyna will have residual oil also but is a different setup requiring the kit from Rogue.

I just changed my oil myself for the first time. Based on the information on the scavenging procedure I tried something a little simpler. After draining the oil completely I got the bike ready to start, with the drain plug still out, I poured in 1/3 qt at the same time starting the engine. I ran the engine for 5 seconds. What I saw next was about a third quart of dirty oil drain out. I know that’s not all the old oil but it was easy to do.

To answer if I think the engine will be ok doing this. I have tested car engine rebuilds by draining all the oil and then running the engine at FULL throttle. Most engines can run for over 5 minutes before seizing. So I think 5 seconds should be fine.

Why not just fill the oil tank and run it till all the dirty oil comes out, much simpler, then refill the tank.

The oil that is left in the engine is in the oil galleries and passages. On the softail model it can be somewhere around 24-32 ounces, the dyna will have residual oil also but is a different setup requiring the kit from Rogue.

I never worry about the little oil in the crank case. Good clean oil will take care of that little bit left over JMO

I never worry about the little oil in the crank case. Good clean oil will take care of that little bit left over JMO

It's more than what's left in the crankcase. It's the oil galleries in th engine too. There's 24-32 ounces of dirty oil , why would you want to change all but about a quart?

If you were to fill the oil tank and and run the engine, wouldn't that mix the dirty and clean oil together, and you will have to buy 6 qts. When I uesd 1/3 qt, I still had enough left to fill the tank. I was going for quick, simple, and cheep.

If you were to fill the oil tank and and run the engine, wouldn't that mix the dirty and clean oil together, and you will have to buy 6 qts.

No...If you think about your statement, you would be pushing the clean oil from the tank through the engine and out the open line until it turns clean. Works for me.

Then just top off the tank as needed.

Back