free website stats program Complete Oil Change Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Complete Oil Change Question

robermv32

Today I decided to do the "Complete Oil Change for Softail" per the instructions on this site. I purchased all the supplies and the tools including the quick connect tool for the return oil line.

Following the directions as outlined all went well ......UNTIL I went to reattach the oil return line. I couldn't get it to line up. I pushed and tugged until a good sweat broke out.

Learning a long time ago that when things like this happen, step back and re-evaluate. ( saves larger repair bills later ). I was finally able to grunt it back into position and finish the job. Took her out for a test ride and there are no leaks.

Question: Is there something I should have done or didn't do to cause the problem with the re-allignment of the oil return line ? Is this normal ?

Sometimes they can fight you a bit. I usually coat the nipple with oil if it is dry and they usually go back together OK then. Alignment with the connector on the tank is important too.

Once the oil return line was out it sort of sprang away from the tank. Placing it back in the hole was just harder than I expected. I did have some oil on the nipple. Maybe it's just the way it is. I just didn't know seeing how it was the first time I've tried it.

Back