free website stats program Complete loss of electrical power, 97 Wide Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Complete loss of electrical power, 97 Wide Glide

bryan_walker

The day after getting caught in a rain storm I went to start my 97 Wide Glide. As soon as I hit the start button everything went dead. I tested my battery, it is fine. I have turned on the switch and twice I had power, but again as soon as I hit the start button power is gone. Any suggestions?

OK, so I put the meter on the battery and it read 12.45. As soon as I turned on the switch it went down to .01, battery connections are good. I tried jumping it with my wifes car (didn't turn on the car) and the engine would crank once, delay, then crank again once and so forth. Still not finding the problem.

I have to go with Tigg here. Remove the battery cables and wire brush the battery terminals and the cable ends. Don't forget they have two ends to each cable.

What LOOKS good isn't necessarily a good connection. It has all the characteristics of a bad connection.

OK, so I put the meter on the battery and it read 12.45. As soon as I turned on the switch it went down to .01, battery connections are good. I tried jumping it with my wifes car (didn't turn on the car) and the engine would crank once, delay, then crank again once and so forth. Still not finding the problem.

So you are saying...you test the battery and shows 12 plus volts..then you turn the key..put a load on the battery and it goes down to .01...sounds like bad battery...a dead cell. Of course I don't know all that much about it...just the old time shade kinda mechanic...lol

Pulled the battery, found crushed behind the battery box a red wire showing copper though the insulation, put black tape one it. Also found copper showing on the negative cable from the battery which was right next to the other bad wire, put tape on that. Cleaned the connections and she started right up. Thanks everyone!

Pulled the battery, found crushed behind the battery box a red wire showing copper though the insulation, put black tape one it. Also found copper showing on the negative cable from the battery which was right next to the other bad wire, put tape on that. Cleaned the connections and she started right up. Thanks everyone!

Glad you got her fixed. Dosen't make you feel good when you can find a problem and fix it yourself? Welcome to the forum.
Ride safe.

As usual..I was wrong...but ain't it great so many folks to help ..Great site..Glad ya got it corrected.:bigsmiley40:

Back