free website stats program Compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator

Biffy08

I know this subject has been kicked to death! Whatever the problem is with the 2008 Touring models and the compensator/starter, when the starter starts banging away. Mine has been doing that and only when it is hot. Does this sound like the problem that I have seen all over HDTimeline?

How big of a job is it to repair this problem? Is it just the compensator that needs to be changed. Can someone with limited mechanical skills do it? And if that is not suggested, how much should HD charge if they are doing me fairly?

First, read this:

Harley Davidson Forums

It's a bigger job than an oil change but with a service manual and the instructions that come with the new compensator, you CAN do it. Probably the only new items you'll need to purchase are the locking bar and maybe a breaker bar to get the old compensator nut off.

Set aside LOTS of time, do it step by step, be patient, and come back here as often as necessary for help or advice.

Had mine replaced on my '07 Ultra at the dealership.

Parts... $250.
Labor..... two hours.

Thanks for the confidence Dr. Doolittle. What do you think the chances are someone has their original compensator instructions?

Thanks for your input too gusotto.

I know this subject has been kicked to death! Whatever the problem is with the 2008 Touring models and the compensator/starter, when the starter starts banging away. Mine has been doing that and only when it is hot. Does this sound like the problem that I have seen all over HDTimeline?

How big of a job is it to repair this problem? Is it just the compensator that needs to be changed. Can someone with limited mechanical skills do it? And if that is not suggested, how much should HD charge if they are doing me fairly?
It is a fairly simple job, if you have the right tools. The hardest thing is getting the new compensator in the right spot for it to slide on to the shaft. It make take a few stabs, but when you hit the right spot the magnets will pull it on. If you get on youtube, you can find everything you need to know. When you get the old compensator off and compare it with the new SE compensator you will see why they have been the problem. Be sure to ask for the SE compensator! Be very careful when reassembling the case. Do not torque the bolts to specs as they may twist off. Wait till you take it out for the test drive afterward. You won't believe the difference, and no more clucky starting. I may have run on a little but I'm not a motorcycle mechanic and I did this job myself. Youtube and the guys on this forum will walk you right thru it. It'll makes you feel good to do it yourself and you get a new appreciation for your ride. good luck.

It is a fairly simple job, if you have the right tools. The hardest thing is getting the new compensator in the right spot for it to slide on to the shaft. It make take a few stabs, but when you hit the right spot the magnets will pull it on. If you get on youtube, you can find everything you need to know. When you get the old compensator off and compare it with the new SE compensator you will see why they have been the problem. Be sure to ask for the SE compensator! Be very careful when reassembling the case. Do not torque the bolts to specs as they may twist off. Wait till you take it out for the test drive afterward. You won't believe the difference, and no more clucky starting. I may have run on a little but I'm not a motorcycle mechanic and I did this job myself. Youtube and the guys on this forum will walk you right thru it. It'll makes you feel good to do it yourself and you get a new appreciation for your ride. good luck.

Thanks to you both!:D

The part that scares me is in the instructions posted by Bodeen. The rider's safety depends upon the correct installation
of this kit. Use the appropriate service manual procedures.
If the procedure is not within your capabilities or you do
not have the correct tools, have a Harley-Davidson dealer
perform the installation. Improper installation of this kit
could result in death or serious injury. (00333a)

I think my skills may not be up to taking the chance!:newsmile071:

rollo3076 - what is the difference that I will notice on the first ride?

Had mine replaced on my '07 Ultra at the dealership.

Parts... $250.
Labor..... two hours.

I just called HD to get a price. They told me that they would recommend replacing the starter at the same time.

With parts and labor = $1028.12!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are they trying to give me the shaft?

Back