free website stats program Compensator?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator??

FLST

Hope I put this in the right place. Been searching forum and the service manual but haven't found out what I want to know yet. Perhaps (probably), I'm not looking in the right place. What, exactly, is the compensator? I know where it is and how to replace it and how to upgrade it, thanks to this forum. I just can't find anything related to just what it "compensates" for.

just a guess, but it is probably compensating for a sudden egagement that might otherwise damage the motor or driveline. like a springload cusion between the 2 sections.

Smooths out the transfer of energy from the engine's crankshaft, via the primary chain, to the clutch and transmission. Almost like a shock absorber for the drive line.

This is why one of the main benefits of upgrading to the SE Compensator is much smoother operation of the bike in the low RPM/low speed regime - like maneuvering around in a parking lot.

Smooths out the transfer of energy from the engine's crankshaft, via the primary chain, to the clutch and transmission. Almost like a shock absorber for the drive line.

This is why one of the main benefits of upgrading to the SE Compensator is much smoother operation of the bike in the low RPM/low speed regime - like maneuvering around in a parking lot.
Thank you Dr. That answers it for me quite well.

Back