Compensator??

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by FLST, Feb 25, 2011.

1. FLST

FLST Active Member

Hope I put this in the right place. Been searching forum and the service manual but haven't found out what I want to know yet. Perhaps (probably), I'm not looking in the right place. What, exactly, is the compensator? I know where it is and how to replace it and how to upgrade it, thanks to this forum. I just can't find anything related to just what it "compensates" for.

2. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

just a guess, but it is probably compensating for a sudden egagement that might otherwise damage the motor or driveline. like a springload cusion between the 2 sections.

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Smooths out the transfer of energy from the engine's crankshaft, via the primary chain, to the clutch and transmission. Almost like a shock absorber for the drive line.

This is why one of the main benefits of upgrading to the SE Compensator is much smoother operation of the bike in the low RPM/low speed regime - like maneuvering around in a parking lot.

4. FLST

FLST Active Member

Thank you Dr. That answers it for me quite well.

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Me offering a satisfactory technical explanation is like the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut!

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

:lolrolling

I heard you rebuilt your engine last year.:D