free website stats program Compensator Upgrade Update | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Upgrade Update

made an appointment with cycles unlimited in winter haven for friday morning. they will install the sprocket for 100.00. i wanted to do it myself but am a little worried it is beyone my skill level. i dont have the tool either and didn't wanna buy it to use it once. anyway, looking forward to the upgrade. just gotta get my leaking fuel rail fixed now and thats it...oh and buy the detachable tour pack rack and thats it...oh and buy that really neat oil cooler I saw online, and thats it...oh and buy those nice HD fog lights for my highway bar..and thats it...oh, get those Hog speakers I've been looking at....oh, you know the rest...:)

Which oil cooler are you looking at? You can't go wrong with the HD Primium or Jag 10 row.

dropped my scoot off this morning, they called and said they could get it done by friday ...im excited about the weekend

I'm convinced. Just ordered the part from Clermont Harley in Florida. They matched Zanotti's price (209.00) and will install it for 375.00. Since I don't have the required tools, I am going to let them do it for me. Excited, hope I'm not disappointed.

Educate me please - what tools are required that wouldn't normally be hiding in my tool box?

I have an 09 ultra, is this something I should be looking into doing or wait until I have some sort of problem with it?

I'm convinced. Just ordered the part from Clermont Harley in Florida. They matched Zanotti's price (209.00) and will install it for 375.00. Since I don't have the required tools, I am going to let them do it for me. Excited, hope I'm not disappointed.

Are you saying the labor alone is $375?

It is a 2hr install plus gaskets & fluids the compensator is around $245 . The HD dealer I go to charges $75 hr for labor so it should cost you around $150 in labor .

Educate me please - what tools are required that wouldn't normally be hiding in my tool box?

I'm planning (and have ordered) a SE compensator sprocket upgrade too; Just wish to share how I’ve ‘tooled up’ for the install:
13/16 inch socket for the compensating sprocket bolt;
1-3/16 inch socket for the clutch hub mainshaft nut (left hand thread);
Locking bar PN 94102-09.

I crafted a bar from ¼ x 1 inch flat stock as per info on thread 'Compensator Kit' post #42 below: (Thank you gs34)

The new tool is just a piece of 1/4 inch barstock, 1 inch wide X 5 7/8 inch long with a taper on both ends to fit between the sprocket teeth.
Or, you can also use a couple of 1/2 inch bolts, joined with a long conduit hanger nut. This long nut will allow you to adjust the length by screwing the bolts in or out to the size you want.
Almost anything will work really, you just need to block the sprockets from moving so you can break the retaining bolts loose.

Should be able to just hand pull the rotor from the stator and overcome the magnet attraction without some puller tool.
Will likely need to grind away a little flash from the inner primary case to remove the rotor. Would probably get a little grindstone with ¼ inch shaft and use on a drill, and lots of rags to stuff in the primary case to keep all the grinding away.

Comments/opinions are welcomed and appreciated. :)

This is interesting. Sounds like a great cure. I noticed lately that they are making cams that work as compression releases too. Probably cost a bunch more, unless you were going to a different grind on the cam too, then it might be another alternative.

I'm confused about something. Why do you have to remove the rotor? I have looked at the manual for my '08 Dyna, and it seems to me the rotor is behind the compensator and you should be able to replace it without removing the rotor. What am I missing? :34:

They say that ignorance is bliss, I guess I'm one happy guy. :newsmile100: Went back and looked a little closer and answered my own question. :small3d023:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back