free website stats program Compensator Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Replacement

odin2207

Guys, I'm new to HD talking and this is my first post. I need to change out my compensator sprocket and primary chain on an 03 Heritage. Do I need a clutch pulling tool to get this done?

The most important tool you will need is the sevice manual
you will need to pull the clutch but i dont think you need any special tools for it the clutch nut is a reverse thread so you have to turn it the opposite way from normal
you will need a bi directional torque wrench for getting it back on and to the correct torque
but its all coverd in the service manual
both the compensator and clutch nuts are assisted in staying in place by red loctite which may require heat to get it moving

Brian

you will need to pull the clutch but i dont think you need any special tools for it the clutch nut is a reverse thread so you have to turn it the opposite way from normal
you will need a bi directional torque wrench for getting it back on and to the correct torque
both the compensator and clutch nuts are assisted in staying in place by red loctite which may require heat to get it moving

Brian

Thanks Brian, when you say heat, do you suggest a torch or heat gun?

As my bikes are all evos ive never done a tc but im pretty sure they are pretty much the same in the primary
i tend to use a torch and get it nice and hoy then then the loctite will part however you may not need the heat
best to have an assistant to stomp on the rear brake and hold the bike while you swing on a breaker bar to loosen the nut

Brian

Brian

+1 I've done a couple of them and it is the same process.

I've done this a few times and find that it is easiest to use a clutch hub puller, in reality you can use any type of puller just be careful not to crack the basket.

A good breaker bar can break free the compensator nut and the clutch hub nut, I read a tip a while back that you could rollup an old t-shirt to keep the primary chain from moving so that you can loosen the compensator sprocket nut and it worked great for me!

For the clutch hub, typically will just put a piece of pipe over my ratchet and then put the bike into 4th or 5th gear and then apply the brake and loosen the nut.

I've never used heat, but I have heard of others that had to in order to free things up.

And remember, the service manual is your friend. :D

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

For the clutch hub, typically will just put a piece of pipe over my ratchet and then put the bike into 4th or 5th gear and then apply the brake and loosen the nut.

Don't forget it's the opposite thread too. (left handed)

Guys, I'm new to HD talking and this is my first post. I need to change out my compensator sprocket and primary chain on an 03 Heritage. Do I need a clutch pulling tool to get this done?

NO IMPACT WRENCH!!

Use a breaker bar and a cheater if you need one.

You can make up a simple tool to jam the sprockets with the chain using one of the polymer cutting boards. What you end up with should look something like the pix below. FOLLOW THE MANUAL!!

TQ

Attachments

• Sprocket locking tool.jpg
    Sprocket locking tool.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 10
Back