free website stats program Compensator problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator problem

puller

Picked up the Trike 3 days ago after haveing it checked out.

I have changed the primary fluid 5 times as I found slivers on the drain plug.
The dealer said they tightened the compensator and that should fix the problem.( sounded as if you were takeing off in 2nd gear).
Left the shop and returned as it is the same, doesn't happen every time but did in their lot.
The srevice manager rode around and said he needed to get with his factory rep. yesterday.
The factory guy said nothing is wrong as it is like all the other ones. Although
he told them there is a,(SEMI PROBLEMATIC CONCERN), on the Trikes. I am sitting here looking at a Semi problematic trike with nothing to ride, any ideas

Welcome to The Forum, First off you have a warranty All problems will be covered, How about asking for a loaner bike while yours is stuck in the shop? There have been several cases of loose compensator s, IMO this should not be happening, stand your ground and make them fix it to your satisfaction and show you the parts they replace

Jack
Just got back from the dealer, he says he will make some calls but his hands are tied as the factory rep report is that it is like all the rest nothing is there fore abnormal. The lead mechanic says it is not right as he test rode it and you can hear and feel it if you take off easy or hard. Waiting for word from dealer before I go ballistic.

Thanks for the input

Sounds like the dealer is trying to work with you no matter what the factory rep said. If you can get the dealer or lead mech. or both to put it in writing, maybe a fax to HD can get the ball rolling.

I have changed the primary fluid 5 times as I found slivers on the drain plug.
any ideas

What's the mileage on the bike. The bike comes with an SE compensator from the factory. They all have oiling problems that HD is just not addressing. Once you wear through the surface hardening it's soft metal and games over.

Just received a call from the dealer . They are going to change the compensator with the newer style?

7000 miles on the bike but it started at 4000.

had heard of the lube problems and the svc. mgr. asked what I was running in the primary (amsoil 20/50) and his contact at the factory has told him to use the Harley chaincase lube as they have had better luck with it.

Not a fix but makes me feel a little better.

As long as the dealer is working with you just keep your cool and go with it. No sense getting stressed out over something you can't control. As has been stated before it is under warranty.

Back