free website stats program compensator nut | Harley Davidson Forums

compensator nut

oddjob

Hi folks I can't get the nut of my compisator blu apart my braker bar up im going left to losten the clutch basket was lock tited I got that loose i put some heat on the nut not to much tho wasent red it smelt like locktite any ideas Russ 2000 road king

It took me a long time and I was sure I was going to bust something. In the end, persistent and alternating use of heat and the breaker bar got it off.

A good bit of heat is required to soften the loctite then a breaker bar perhaps with an extension and a friend to steady the bike should do it
However i had to use a lot of heat and an air impact wrench to get mine off but it did take a wee while to start moving

Brian

well thanks by golly it works a whole lot better going the right way dont know whare I got left couldn't find it in the manual either brain hic up I supose working alone dog aint helping either thanks Russ

well thanks by golly it works a whole lot better going the right way dont know whare I got left couldn't find it in the manual either brain hic up I supose working alone dog aint helping either thanks Russ

I'm always having a brain hic---maybe I sould get a dog.

DON'T use an impact wrench. the piece behind the compensator says quite clearly in stamped letters do not use impact tools to loosen or tighten. manual says same thing as well. something about breaking the magnets loose in the alternator piece behind the compensator. jmho.

DON'T use an impact wrench. the piece behind the compensator says quite clearly in stamped letters do not use impact tools to loosen or tighten. manual says same thing as well. something about breaking the magnets loose in the alternator piece behind the compensator. jmho.
Just our experience. My cousin and I used heat and an impact to remove the comp from his 85 FXRS. Took a bit of effort and a little heat to get it off. No damage to rotor magnets. Time will tell if some hidden fault will show up. Your mileage may vary...

Back