free website stats program Compensator Nut removal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Nut removal

I used a gas torch with a propane/butane mix and got the nut to start turning red it took a wee bit of time to get the heat to the threads
I think I get a wee bit more power from the air impact wrench and use the 24 volt one for stuff when a short air line does not reach

Brian

I never got the nut nearly that hot. I've just picked up some MAP gas, so I'll get the nut hotter and give it another go. Thanks

A bit of heat and an air impact driver. The sprocket nut was the same LHT) but came off with heat and the impact driver. The overdrive sprocket is installed without needing a new belt. Now to put it back together:D

Now that you have had the nut off as long as you follow the service manual for reassembly clean the threads and apply the correct quantity and type of Loctite and to the correct torque, a wee bit of heat and a breaker bar should be enough for any future removal

Brian

A bit of heat and an air impact driver. The sprocket nut was the same LHT) but came off with heat and the impact driver. The overdrive sprocket is installed without needing a new belt. Now to put it back together:D

Wait. The compensator nut was right hand threads, right? Then you loosened the clutch hub nut which was left-hand, correct? Just trying to make sure I understand the comment above. Or did you loosen the belt drive sprocket too?

Cheers,

TQ

Sorry for the confusion. The sprocket nut and the clutch were both LHT. I meant to say the Sprocket nut was also a pig to get off and needed heat and an impact wrench. All back together now with the right locktite and correct torque.

Back