free website stats program compensator knock help!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

compensator knock help!!!!!

paulz84hd

hello there all,greetings from Az. Can anyone tell me much about the compensation sprocket on an early 84 FXRS? Mine seems to be making a knocking noise,after removal of said compensation sprocket I noticed approx. 1/32 to 1/16 in amount of slop or looseness in the splined shaft of the compensation nut to the splined shaft of motor,is this common or normal? Is there a fix?Would the aftermarket BDL one go on the shaft and possibly ride on a different part of the motor shaft,like maybe closer in where the splines on engine are not as worn as where the stock comp. sprocket splines are pretty far out towards the end of the shaft. Any thoughts, suggestions,advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul k.

hello there all,greetings from Az. Can anyone tell me much about the compensation sprocket on an early 84 FXRS? Mine seems to be making a knocking noise,after removal of said compensation sprocket I noticed approx. 1/32 to 1/16 in amount of slop or looseness in the splined shaft of the compensation nut to the splined shaft of motor,is this common or normal? Is there a fix?Would the aftermarket BDL one go on the shaft and possibly ride on a different part of the motor shaft,like maybe closer in where the splines on engine are not as worn as where the stock comp. sprocket splines are pretty far out towards the end of the shaft. Any thoughts, suggestions,advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul k.

Are the splines on the motor crankshaft worn or is it on the comp?

If on the crank, sorry I don't have an answer you'll want to hear...

signed....BUBBIE

Not a lot of problems with the old set up, unless there is wear on the shaft or worse yet the left side crank bearings are bad just thinking out loud here , I have seen this on a Sturgis Model not assembled correctly

Back