free website stats program Compensator Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Issues

BigG

I have a 2003 FLSTCI. It had 48,000 on it when I noticed Primary Noise. Turns out the compensator had to be changed. Now I am at 57,000 and it seems to be making the same type of noises. Is the compensator a common problem?

Could be the compensator bolt has loosened up. If it has just don't retorque it. Take the bolt out clean both sets of threads good, lock-tite it and retorque to spec.

Could be the compensator bolt has loosened up. If it has just don't retorque it. Take the bolt out clean both sets of threads good, lock-tite it and retorque to spec.
Good advice, I believe it has to hold 160 ft pounds, mine didn't and had to be replaced along with most of the primary side of the bike.

Good advice, I believe it has to hold 160 ft pounds, mine didn't and had to be replaced along with most of the primary side of the bike.

Yes Exactly. I had mine replaced about 10K miles ago. It feels like a lower end knock now, so I think it has re-ocurred. I was hoping to make it to the end of summer before tearing into it again. I am wondering if it is a common (design) problem with the Twin cam 88 B's ?

Not sure if it is a common problem but I've read other threads about it so it must be somewhat of a issue.

Not sure if it is a common problem but I've read other threads about it so it must be somewhat of a issue.

Which makes me think of another question/suggestion for this forumn. What about a List of most common repairs by model and year ??

Looks Like a good place for me to read up on issues during the next rain/snow storm. Thanks for the heads up.

What is this SNOW thing you speak of:p I am originally. Ha from MN and I do not miss it Have a good look at the self help section, you will be AMAZED at the info in there:s

What is this SNOW thing you speak of:p I am originally. Ha from MN and I do not miss it Have a good look at the self help section, you will be AMAZED at the info in there:s

Yes Jack. We don't get quite as cold as MN here but there is still some motorcyclr down time due to weather.

Back