free website stats program compensator help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

compensator help

One thing I would like for you to try if you haven't, is to kill the bike in a higher gear to see if the clack sound is still there. A buddy and me were talking about your problem this morning. I am assuming you are engaging the clutch in first gear when you kill the bike. Try it in 2nd, 3rd, etc and see if the noise is still there. Let us now.

Ok so new comp assemhly installed. Clutch compensator and chain all reassembled per spec. Clutch adjusted per spec and lever play as well. After a good long ride i am still getting a clack clack when shutting off bike in gear. This happens just as final stroke of engine stops. This is driving me nuts. No other noises at all. Runs great no noises. Everything in the primary is tight. Just a light clack and does not do it in neutral when shutting down. What the heck?

Shut the motor off with the bike in neutral; noise or not? If no noise, could be that the compensator is not the source.:coffee

Problem solved. Retraced my steps over the past month and the only variable was using redline shockproof for the color to find my initial seal leak. Shifter was banging yesterday and was still getting the clacking at shutdown. Rode about fifty miles and drained the tranny. Ran out like water. Replaced it with amsoil severe gear. Rode about ten miles and no more clacking or clunking. Rode another twenty and no shifting clunk or noise at shutdown. Unbelievable. Thanks to everyone fir the input to try and help me solve this.

Makes me re-think using redline. It was better than the factory lube, not a hard act to follow.

Can the compensator make for sloppy shifting? Mine has been ratchety on startup since new, 16 k miles now and getting worse, every hot start is like a threshing machine now.

'13 FXDC 96" Pipes, AC

Thanks,
Steve

Makes me re-think using redline. It was better than the factory lube, not a hard act to follow.

Can the compensator make for sloppy shifting? Mine has been ratchety on startup since new, 16 k miles now and getting worse, every hot start is like a threshing machine now.

'13 FXDC 96" Pipes, AC

Thanks,
Steve

Very interesting, I have just switched to Redline in my 15 Freewheeler and like it, I had been running synthetic 75-140 in my Strretbob I like the Redline

Jack,
I loved it when I put it in after break-in. I had wondered if my compensator is contributing to the loose shifting?

Thanks,
Steve

Jack,
I loved it when I put it in after break-in. I had wondered if my compensator is contributing to the loose shifting?

Thanks,
Steve

All things being equal, I would guess when the compensator started acting up it may have put the primary chain in a bind?

Back