compensating sprocket/clutch hub sprocket

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by fattyboy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. fattyboy

fattyboy Active Member

I have a 2001 roadking , I found out from Glider that the police bikes came out with different ratio's , The sprocket's that I have now, Clutch hub 37 tooth, The conpensating sprocket 24. I just don't no do I go up on the number of teeth or down to get a little more low end. Can anybody help me out??? Thanks, Fattyboy.
  2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The front sprocket would be smaller on the police bikes for more bottom end. Going to a bigger sprocket on the front will give you more TOP end but would loose a bit on the bottom end acceleration.

Here's something that Delmar posted that explains it better.

Here is the 3.37 setup on your Road King: 24T comp sprocket with 37T ring gear and should run 2500rpm @ 56mph and 3500rpm @ 78mph.

Typical 5-speed touring bikes have a 3.15 setup: 25T comp sprocket with 36T ring gear and run 2500rpm @ 60mph and 3500rpm @ 84mph.
  3. Delmar

Delmar Active Member

Gearing setup has nothing to do with a Police bike, it has to do with the MM injection. You already have the high 3.37 gearing just like my Police bike.

If you feel your low-end is weak maybe look for other tuning issues first. Many guys install monster cams and exhaust which aids top-end power while killing the low-end torque. Exact opposite effect they were paying for.

My RK is bone stock and has a great low-end. I want to go the opposite way with the 3.15 setup for relaxed cruising. To each their own.