free website stats program compensating sprocket/ clutch basket sprocket. | Harley Davidson Forums

compensating sprocket/ clutch basket sprocket.

fattyboy

I have a 2001 road king, I was told if i changed out the compensating and clutch basket sprokets with sprockets out of a softail that it would give me alot more low end. Becouse the ratio is different. Does anybody no if this is true.And if so what do you no about it.

They used to make a kit you could buy from HD to change the sprokets not sure if they do anymore .. Same thing though it would give ya more low end

I have a 2001 road king, I was told if i changed out the compensating and clutch basket sprokets with sprockets out of a softail that it would give me alot more low end. Becouse the ratio is different. Does anybody no if this is true.And if so what do you no about it.

Don't it depend on what year and style of softail are you talking about? By doing this -you get more low end torque where ?????? sorry - just asking here! :cheers

so if this is done - changing ratio's - would this not put more strain on the eng. if you don't change things in there ?

Not really you are just changing the primary gearing .. you will run a little more Rpm but shouldnt be enough to matter

Is your Road King Carbed or FI .. If carbed you can get the primary stuff from a 01-06 FI and it will give you the 3.37:1 gearing of the FI bike .. and will for sure fit..

I couldnt find the kit anymore that had just the front comp and Chain..

Last edited:
My bike is inj. I was told that the softail ratio is lower and give more low end. Thanks.

I cant say on that need to knwo what year softtail would fit it i would guess same year as yours but would need to see gear ratio

it would be easier to change the front trans sprocket and probably cheaper

Your MM injected Road King already has a higher sprocket ratio than the typical carbed bikes or newer Delphi injected bikes. Considering you have a 5-speed, changing to yet higher ratio (if available) will only make the bike wind tighter at highway speeds.

Here is the 3.37 setup on your Road King: 24T comp sprocket with 37T ring gear and should run 2500rpm @ 56mph and 3500rpm @ 78mph.

Typical 5-speed touring bikes have a 3.15 setup: 25T comp sprocket with 36T ring gear and run 2500rpm @ 60mph and 3500rpm @ 84mph.

Are you looking to setup the bike for drag racing? You sure you want to do this?

Back