free website stats program Compare Electra Glide rear tire, apples to apples | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compare Electra Glide rear tire, apples to apples

i did a wear bar calculation based on mileage/tread depth remaining last year. since the depth was comparable on both tires, i'm replacing both together with the dunlops 407/408F. i am expecting to see 17,800 when i hit the wear bar. thought about metzlers since i have them on my rk, but with the abs and the dual compound thing, i'm staying w/dunlops. have a rear tire here i bought getting ready, $269.+ no tax. dealer price.

Got 18K out of oem dunlop,replaced with American Elite got 11k on it so far.Holding up well.Couldn't get American Elite for the front,not made for the 18 inch on the FLTRX.Still running a Dunlop on the front,a Elite 3 made for a Goldwing. Will go with a D402 next time out front.Stickiing with Dunlops. Seen a cut away of metzler,avon and dunlops,sidewall construction is alot thicker on the Dunlops

Reading here and in other places, people are getting ...12k to 20k...
on the 407 tires.
In other posts when this is first mentioned, others will reply in disbelief,
saying things like, getting 7k on a tire is good.
I think initially people weren't aware of the Dual compound on the tires.

This is why I posted apples to apples.....

p.s.
Some of the other tires mentioned here, Michelin etc.... are they Dual compound ?

I have over 23k on both original Dunlops on a 2010 Ultra Limited...have not hit the wear bars yet...still has 2/32 onboth tires.... pretty happy with this...looking at the Dunlop American

p.s.
Some of the other tires mentioned here, Michelin etc.... are they Dual compound ?

Michelin has dual compound tires but according to their website they don't make any tires for H-D touring bikes. They do for Dynas , Sportys, VRods and such.

On my third rear,1st got a nail in it at 7k and was not comfortable with a plug, It was nice to be able to plug it to get home but peace of mind is priceless. Second rear got to 14k and was cupping out so I put on another and really have watched the air pressure in them this time.I'm at 29k now. The first front cupped pretty bad too so the dealer replaced it under warranty at 16k. So far I am happy with the mileage and handling of the Dunlops, so untill someone comes up with more mileage I'll stay with them. I'm running 36 lbs in the front and 38 in the rear now and they seem to be wearing good.

i'm running 38 front and 42 rear all the time. mostly ride 2 up and after seeing metzlers advice about 2 psi more, i decided to try it. happy with handling though ride is a little stiffer alone.

Michelin has dual compound tires but according to their website they don't make any tires for H-D touring bikes. They do for Dynas , Sportys, VRods and such.

Geez, one would think that they would. I don't see why the don't. They make a good product.

Back