free website stats program combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner ?

Hoop, I respect your opinion completely. I would never pour entire bottle of anything in tank. I said if used in the proper ratio would not hurt anything, and I still believe that. Water will not clean baked on deposits on fuel injector tips or intake valves.
Be Safe
wilks3

Hoop, I respect your opinion completely.

And I do yours. This is just plain old Great brain food if you ask me.:)

Now in all fairness do I feel that Techron really works? You BET I do. I have NO doubt it will help keep combustion chambers cleaner and will also keep my injectors clean of deposits.
Do I also feel that Lipitor will help lower my Cholesterol? Once again, you BET I do. Dropped a friends level from 280 to 175 in just 5 weeks.

But the problem in both cases is the side effects can be worse than what your trying to fix.

Just two of the bad side effects of Techron (as stated by Chevron themselves) is that:

1) Some WILL get past the rings and into your oil. It WILL have a negative effect on the lubricating properties of oil. It does not easily out-gas from the oil upon seeing higher temps. Yes, even with Mobil 1.

2) The elevated combustion temperatures from it's use can ruin exhaust valve seats.

Those are some spooky side effects and just may not be worth the risk....
I would rather live with the carbon deposits.

But that is the beauty of America. We have freedom to choose.:)

And I do yours. This is just plain old Great brain food if you ask me.:)

Now in all fairness do I feel that Techron really works? You BET I do. I have NO doubt it will help keep combustion chambers cleaner and will also keep my injectors clean of deposits.
Do I also feel that Lipitor will help lower my Cholesterol? Once again, you BET I do. Dropped a friends level from 280 to 175 in just 5 weeks.

But the problem in both cases is the side effects can be worse than what your trying to fix.

Just two of the bad side effects of Techron (as stated by Chevron themselves) is that:

1) Some WILL get past the rings and into your oil. It WILL have a negative effect on the lubricating properties of oil. It does not easily out-gas from the oil upon seeing higher temps. Yes, even with Mobil 1.

2) The elevated combustion temperatures from it's use can ruin exhaust valve seats.

Those are some spooky side effects and just may not be worth the risk....
I would rather live with the carbon deposits.

But that is the beauty of America. We have freedom to choose.:)

Too much Techron can cause a lot of valve damage, it can destroy seats valves and rings, if you use it do it sparingly I have seen the damage first hand it aint pretty

Hoop, I respect your opinion completely. I would never pour entire bottle of anything in tank. I said if used in the proper ratio would not hurt anything, and I still believe that. Water will not clean baked on deposits on fuel injector tips or intake valves.
Be Safe
wilks3

Water works surprisingly well if you think about it...the engine is running at high temperature, the sudden change causes gas to get out of suspension and coats the interior of the combustion chamber...the rapid change in temperature with the slurry of gas solvent and high movement of air will "chip or crack" the deposits away and into the air flow...think of controlled backfire/vibration waves breaking up that carbon, along weak fault lines like lead in a pencil...the black/water mix coming out of the exhaust is small loose debris, some fairly large pieces, not just"smoke". :bigsmiley28:

Water is a old trick for sure, but it will not clean tips of fuel injectors or backsides of intake valves where most crude builds up. Everytime you shut off F.I. engine, some fuel cooks on the fuel injector tips and the back of intake valves. A good extra shot of fuel cleaner helps these areas stay clean. Only if you used fuel cleaner "every" tank would I believe you could hurt engine. But, like you said freedom to choose.
Be Safe
wilks3

Last edited:
Great posts! I don't know anything about this, so this is all good knowledge.

Queston: I can understand how water would work, but has anyone actually observed carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, used water and then observed the deposits gone? Is that even possible?

What I am wondering is the water/steam would also be blowing carbon/black stuff from the exhaust pipes/mufflers out as well. How could you differentiate between that cabon and the carbon from the combustion chamber? I would think that you could not.

Just asking...

My mind wander to the "popping" sound you heard. I would think water would flash to steam and I know flashing can be loud. Is it just steam making the noise, and thus the flashing of the water concussivly knocking chunks of carbon off? I could envision as the burned fuel/water vapor rapidly depressurizes as it enters the exhaust, the "steam" would rapidly expand, and scour the exhaust pipes. I have observed first hand 30 psi steam litterally eat though a 316L stainlees steel pipe from this action. Still wondering what is actually happening in the chamber itself.

The thermal shock that was mentioned in a previous post makes sense to me if you uses water in a hot engine, for fracturing the carbon deposits.

Again, I am not suggesting that water isn't doing the job is reported to be doing. I am just trying to understand it.

Does the engine run significantly better after this?:34:

Water turns into steam instantly when combustion takes place and cracks, breaks or whatever you want to call it, parts of built up carbon come loose. Good, but. If carbon is really heavy pieces can and have stuck in between piston and cylinder wall, bad.
Many options, many opinions. None all bad, none all good. Myself, I would rather try to keep top of piston, valves and fuel injectors clean with a good cleaner used at the right ratio with fuel. Used right will not hurt engine, dump a whole bottle in, you got trouble.
Ride Safe
wilks3

I the old days carbon stuck to the pistons not the valves - the refered to carbon of today is a actually fuel deposits stuck to the valve stems - using water to power off these deposits is almost asking for a bent valve. much safer using proper mixture of seafoam in the fuel.over multiple tanks. fuel deposits on the valve stems will restrict air entering past valves if it gets bad enough, it doesn`t really mater what fuel you use its a charteristic of fuel injection since the injector sprays directly onto the back of the valve . the better fuels will minimise the deposits but won`t completely stop them.

I the old days carbon stuck to the pistons not the valves - the refered to carbon of today is a actually fuel deposits stuck to the valve stems - using water to power off these deposits is almost asking for a bent valve. much safer using proper mixture of seafoam in the fuel.over multiple tanks. fuel deposits on the valve stems will restrict air entering past valves if it gets bad enough, it doesn`t really mater what fuel you use its a charteristic of fuel injection since the injector sprays directly onto the back of the valve . the better fuels will minimise the deposits but won`t completely stop them.

I have used the water mist for over 40 years and never bent a valve, not to say it could not happen, it can with too much of any thing in the combustion chamber, your ride you decide,

Back