free website stats program combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner ? | Harley Davidson Forums

combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner ?

murf

I'm very familiar with the products available for cars/trucks which will clean carbon deposits from the intake valves and clean the fuel system to some degree. What I'm asking is, is there a similiar product that is recommended for bikes. ?

Last edited:
Specifically made for V-twin engines? I am sure there is some company out there that has labeled a bottle or can to make people believe it is a special formula for "bike engines" but I would not waste my time using it or any other combustion cleaner or injector cleaner.

In the days of leaded gas, maybe. But today, no not me. Stay-bil or Sea foam, sure.... but combustion or injector cleaner, no. It is way too risky for me.

Just my opinion but unless I had cast iron heads, I would not be "power" wire brushing anything. I have seen with my own eyes, material (metal) being removed from the tops of pistons and soft combustion chambers by using even a power RUBBER "wire wheel". That is,, a wire wheel that has stiff rubber "wires" just like an ordinary wire wheel. 3M makes them. When used under power from a motor with continuous heat and rubbing action, I have witnessed metal material being removed.

I still don't understand the need to remove the "carbon". Is there really glowing carbon deposits giving you pre-ignition? Is the carbon making your compression ratio un-livable? If so use a higher Octane and enjoy the boost!

Even using these below, I have removed metal.

Shop 3M: Scotch-Brite Roloc Bristle Disc, 2 in x 5/8 Tapered 50

Attachments

• Rotoloc 001.jpg
    Rotoloc 001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Rotoloc 003.jpg
    Rotoloc 003.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
How about something simple, universal and cheap...a water spray bottle! Check it out:

Glider made that suggestion a while back in the Self Help tips: :coffee

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-3634.html

Or the old fashioned way...see post #20 that Fabrozor shared with us:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/engine_fuel_and_exhaust/24812-your_tips_to_clean_combustion_residue.html

Just my opinion but unless I had cast iron heads, I would not be "power" wire brushing anything. I have seen with my own eyes, material (metal) being removed from the tops of pistons and soft combustion chambers by using even a power RUBBER "wire wheel". That is,, a wire wheel that has stiff rubber "wires" just like an ordinary wire wheel. 3M makes them. When used under power from a motor with continuous heat and rubbing action, I have witnessed metal material being removed.

I still don't understand the need to remove the "carbon". Is there really glowing carbon deposits giving you pre-ignition? Is the carbon making your compression ratio un-livable? If so use a higher Octane and enjoy the boost!

Even using these below, I have removed metal.

Shop 3M: Scotch-Brite Roloc Bristle Disc, 2 in x 5/8 Tapered 50

Water is your best bet, Hold the throttle open @ around 1000 and use a fine mist of water , Never use anything abrassive on the inside of the heads, unless you want to alter flow and compression ratio. The water routine is tried and trued, I have used this for going on 40 years now JMO

Hoop, Seafoam is a combustion cleaner. Or do mean the kind where you pour into carb/throttle body? You can do this with Seafoam also. STP, Restore and Chevron w/Techron are all very good top engine/intake valve cleaners, If used at the proper ratio it says on bottle I see no reason not to use it. I put a bottle of "something" in gas at every oil change in my cages, keeps'em running like new. If carbon is left to buildup, it will create hot spots that will cause pre-ignition. Bad, very bad. My 2 cents worth.
wilks3

Last edited:
I put a bottle of "something" in gas at every oil change in my cages, keeps'em running like new. If carbon is left to buildup, it will create hot spots that will cause pre-ignition. Bad, very bad.

I totally understand how & why you feel that way. Many years ago the advertising was just way to strong for me to believe otherwise. I mean with all the pictures, along with all the theory and what it says on the bottle does make 100% sense and don't we all want to do what is best for our engines?......And that money back Guarantee from this "BIG" company. I can't take it any longer. Just Gimmie that bottle!:)

But for me now, 10 years later?,,,Not any more after what I went through. The only thing I now use (with the exception of Stay-Bil) is a Hi quality name brand fuel because I still believe "Not all gas is created equal".

In my opinion, adding any powerful off the shelf injector cleaner such as Techron to your tank is an unnecessary mistake. If you use an amount that does no engine harm, it will be in an amount that has no cleaning action. And use it in an amount that has good cleaning action,, and the bad will far outweigh the good.

I also feel it is a lesson that must be learned on an individual basis. 15 years ago the sentence "name brand fuels have everything I need already in them", rolled off me like water off plate glass.

If I may quote Smitty901 famous words,,,"Your ride, Your decide" :)

Hey Hoople, carbon buildup is a fact of life due to the quality (or lack of quality) of the gas we are buying. Even the best could be better. Once carbon starts it grows with each injection of fuel onto the engine. Have you ever seen a intake valve from a high mileage engine. ? This carbon is like concrete after it has built up. Concrete on my intake valves ? Each injection of fuel is absorbed by the existing carbon and therefor your engine isn't getting the full amount it was meant to get. I have seen some very serious drivability problems solved with just a de-carboning procedure. I didn't think of the water spray, although I should have. Had a good friend that installed a water injection setup on his '73 Toyota celica many years ago and when he went into the engine there was no carbon buildup. The buildup can cause hard starting, sluggish accel, poor throttle response, missing and probably many other conditions detrimental to the performance of our true loves. I'm gonna do it. Thanks guys for the reminder. I was very concerned with putting anything chemical into the bike, so once again......ask and you shall receive.

Have you ever seen a intake valve from a high mileage engine. ? This carbon is like concrete after it has built up. Concrete on my intake valves ? Each injection of fuel is absorbed by the existing carbon and therefor your engine isn't getting the full amount it was meant to get.

Yes, I have. I have also never seen ANY, that's A-N-Y chemical, when used in a ratio of 100:1, be able to dissolve formulated concrete.

Adding "combustion chamber" cleaner or Techron is, in my opinion, a mistake. We can't compare a stable temperature, water cooled engine, to one of these air cooled V-Twins that is made as loose as they can get and still work.

But I do respect your desire to do what's best for your engine. I just don't believe pouring a 12oz bottle of Techron into my tank once an oil change is going to help.

Hey Hoople, carbon buildup is a fact of life due to the quality (or lack of quality) of the gas we are buying. Even the best could be better. Once carbon starts it grows with each injection of fuel onto the engine. Have you ever seen a intake valve from a high mileage engine. ? This carbon is like concrete after it has built up. Concrete on my intake valves ? Each injection of fuel is absorbed by the existing carbon and therefor your engine isn't getting the full amount it was meant to get. I have seen some very serious drivability problems solved with just a de-carboning procedure. I didn't think of the water spray, although I should have. Had a good friend that installed a water injection setup on his '73 Toyota celica many years ago and when he went into the engine there was no carbon buildup. The buildup can cause hard starting, sluggish accel, poor throttle response, missing and probably many other conditions detrimental to the performance of our true loves. I'm gonna do it. Thanks guys for the reminder. I was very concerned with putting anything chemical into the bike, so once again......ask and you shall receive.

Yes, I have. I have also never seen ANY, that's A-N-Y chemical, when used in a ratio of 100:1, be able to dissolve formulated concrete.

Adding "combustion chamber" cleaner or Techron is, in my opinion, a mistake. We can't compare a stable temperature, water cooled engine, to one of these air cooled V-Twins that is made as loose as they can get and still work.

But I do respect your desire to do what's best for your engine. I just don't believe pouring a 12oz bottle of Techron into my tank once an oil change is going to help.
This is the way to go, Gas already has enough chemicals in it , Techron is a very powerful product, We use it @ work in 30 percent concentration, The smoke it creates is very toxic IMO and I would not use it in an air cooled motor JMO

Back