free website stats program Colonoscopy Journal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Colonoscopy Journal

I also was extremely nervous when I had the procedure done, the only difference was they told me to drink what they call citrate of magnesia lemon flavored, 2 bottles 10 ounces each 4 hours apart not good tasting but not the worst, the second drink didn't go down as easy, as for me I have a darker complexion and they usually have difficulty finding a vein during routine bloodwork i have to have done ( about once every 3 months ) and with your body being de-hydrated from the effects of the cocktail my veins were even more difficult to find, after a little prodding he put the needle in the main vein behind my wrist, not the most pleaseant experience, when he stuck me I guess i flinched and he said hold on I don't want to lose it!! not wanting to have to get stuck again i remember just tightening up my other fist and holding tight, anyway that was the worst of it and that part won't be most peoples experience, for me they found four pollops which they removed and i was told all were non cancerous, however because they found four i now have to have the next one done in three years rather than the normal five year plan with a favorable report, I was also told it was a good thing i had had this done because pollops are what become cancerous, anyone approaching the due date i reccommend you have this done and don't procrastinate because your scared as I was the procedure is really easy and the next thing you know your waking up in the re-covery room and i'ts over no pain take it easy the rest of the day, i was put under what he told me was heavy sedation and i didn't feel a thing, when the nurse removed the needle i joked with her and said i'ts a shame to take that out now being it was so difficult to put in, she laughed and said yea when i see they go there to find the vein i know you were difficult, As for the next one in three years I won't be near as nervous as i was for that one.

I'll Reply with something VERY personal here:

Without this procedure I would Not be alive today.

My Thinking and Hating the thoughts of going thru "THIS" as Stated so well in previous post.... "THIS" ended up with finding a Big Polyp and several little benign ones. YES the big one (thumb nail size) was MALIGNANT...

This was about the time Pres. Reagan did his Open Warning and Knowingly, I had and Uncle Die early from cancer and polyps, I wanted to "Live To Ride" a few more years. Better get it done.

I had the polyps removed then finding the big one and cancer in the wall of the intestine I went into a Surgery room two days later and had a Foot of the colon removed.

Good news given, as they thought they got it all out...... and MANY safety follow-ups over the years, No return of cancer... Polyps yes, cancer NO..

That all took place in 1986... I THOUGHT I was TOO YOUNG to have "THIS" problem and procedure YET...

????????NOW HAVE I WAITED???????????????

MY private story shared with you, because Life is TOO Short AND I want to Leave it the Normal way......

Of Corse,,,

ON A HARLEY ...:D

signed....BUBBIE

I think it is great, the stories being shared, even with this thread starting out as a joke. Hopefully the stories here, will help someone who is undecided and will go ahead with the procedure for it is a good thing.
As said before this forum helps others in many ways....
Thanks Guys

I went through that at 50 , wish I'd thought of the vodka . The best thing about it was the anesthetic , wish I could buy it over the counter LOL , that was the best most relaxing 30 min. of sleep I've ever had in my life .

I went through that at 50 , wish I'd thought of the vodka . The best thing about it was the anesthetic , wish I could buy it over the counter LOL , that was the best most relaxing 30 min. of sleep I've ever had in my life .

I'm not sure I would recommend adding the Vodka, the stuff the Veterans gave me to drink made me break out in a cold sweat before it was all done. :lolrolling
I felt like I was having a heart attack seriously.

But what Bubbie says is very true. Although my wife has an Aunt that had complications with her colonoscopy and her colon ruptured during the process and she nearly died in the following days. It does have a small risk. The Doc told me about 1 out of every 1000 has a rupture. Mine was kinda painful. I think maybe next time I will ask them for a dbl dose of whatever they are giving.

Remember back in the Old Western Days?

IF you got gut shot you were a goner :rofl

signed....BUBBIE

LOL :rofl LOL I've heard a lot of colonoscopy jokes but this one has got to be one of the best yet. I cracked up so bad I almost hurt my colon. These two here especialy.

{---
I don't want to be too graphic here but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch?

I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full 'Fire Hose' mode.
---}

Of course those of us who have actually had this procedure can more fully appreciate the humor. Only not sure what went wrong on mine, I was fully awake the whole time. Kinda painful in some areas. Guess maybe the Veterans hospital don't use a strong enough sedative. Good post though, hilarious actually.

Yep. The VA is a little stingy with the good stuff.:D

That Movi Prep is a nuclear laxative. You would think with all the technology that the world has that they could make it taste better... but no. :( :58:

When I had mine done they told me to refrigerate the drink and it was not bad. When picking up the mix or talking to the Doc ask if you are able to refrigerate.

They did allow me to refrigerate it and it did make it taste a tad bit better but still.............. :p

The VA tells you to go buy a powered Lemon drink mix to add to it. It kinda makes it like a real bad jug of old lemonade.

They also gave me pills to take with the solution. Folks I know that got it at a civilian clinic said they had no extra pills. I kinda felt like the pills are what made me feel like I was gonna pass out. Rumor with Vets is that they throw the pills in cause they are afraid some Vets won't drink all the solution.

Don't know for sure, just know it was rougher the night before than the actual day.

Back