free website stats program Cold Weather Overpants Options | Harley Davidson Forums

Cold Weather Overpants Options

09StdGlide

While at the local Sports Authority I was looking at some winter-weight overpants, assuming they were for skiing. The prices were resonable, less than $100, and looked like they may be warmer than polypro long-johns.

Question is, does anyone have any experience using these for cold weather riding and how well did they work? Thanks!

Ski pants (bib front) worked best when riding in super cold weather...when I rode metrics behind sport bodywork with full face helmet and "3 fingered" glove covers. Only problem is, they are bulky. I prefer vinyl or rubber "slickers" with hood under the helmet because they fold much more compact, are waterproof and block the wind nicely. Boot covers like Totes complete the ensemble...! If you have the storage room, they are more toasty, but then comes the question, what about "electrically heated" gear...decisions, decisions!

I use Carhartt Bibb Front insulated coveralls. You can still wear your leather jacket over it ,and not too binding. Works good in Alabama winters.

While at the local Sports Authority I was looking at some winter-weight overpants, assuming they were for skiing. The prices were resonable, less than $100, and looked like they may be warmer than polypro long-johns.

Question is, does anyone have any experience using these for cold weather riding and how well did they work? Thanks!

Don't know about the overpants, but I bought some ski thermals and they are quite warm when sitting still or moving slow. They didn't stop the wind above 40MPH. I went with the Widder heated vest with thermostat and wouldn't be without in the winter.:s

I use them all the time. However you have to be careful around the exhaust because they will melt easily. I use a pair of 1/2 chaps to protect them from getting burned. I only have 1/2 chaps because they offer year around protection here in The Great State of Texas where it gets pretty warm in the summer.

I wish I could talk about cold weather riding but its' 10 degrees right now and I think that may be some kind of too cold.

I bought a pair of gore tex weather proof golf pants and wore them last winter on really cold days. I got them really inexpensive at Chick's going out of business sale. Only problem was the melting of the ankle mud guards. All they have to do is barely touch your pipes and "poof".

They are warm though, water and wind proof. I wear them over my Levis. I started using small lanyards at the ankles to keep them from hitting my pipes and melting.

I use insulated coveralls from Walmart. Down here, just need regular clothes under. But in the Northern climes, might need a bit more.

TQ

I use Carhartt Bibb Front insulated coveralls. You can still wear your leather jacket over it ,and not too binding. Works good in Alabama winters.

They work good in Maine too. I wear them to snowblow the driveway getting covered in the process and stay warm and dry. So I tried them on the bike, over my jeans and they work great.

Back