free website stats program cold start problem 97 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

cold start problem 97 Road King

nascar7613

97 Road King with Morelli fuel injection. When it is completely cold, I have to crack the throttle slightly to start it. After it starts, it idles up and down for about a minute. As this is happening the check engine light will come on then go off several times. I tried to get codes out of the bike using both the ignition switch method and by shorting terminals 1 & 2 together at the connector and retrieve no codes. After the bike runs for a minute or so the idle returns to normal and runs fine. It has to be stone cold for it to act up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

97 Road King with Morelli fuel injection. When it is completely cold, I have to crack the throttle slightly to start it. After it starts, it idles up and down for about a minute. As this is happening the check engine light will come on then go off several times. I tried to get codes out of the bike using both the ignition switch method and by shorting terminals 1 & 2 together at the connector and retrieve no codes. After the bike runs for a minute or so the idle returns to normal and runs fine. It has to be stone cold for it to act up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sound like You and Your Bike have the problem Handled enough I Wouldn't Worry IF it were fixed or not.....

I could Live with that Minor problem.. That is an Older system that gives Many MORE problems than the one you are having.. LUCKY YOU...

signed....BUBBIE

Not even to understand the minor problem of starting, which I agree is minor, I would have to know why you can't extract those codes. I could not sleep until I did.

Not even to understand the minor problem of starting, which I agree is minor, I would have to know why you can't extract those codes. I could not sleep until I did.

It is Members like Hoople that "CAN" help you with Your Problem but you have to Help him to get his sleep........ Get him the MORE information and He WILL solve the problem....

I have followed Hoop around here on this site.. Many Learn,,,,

A Common Saying I think I'll take credit for is "Everybody Need a Hoople in their Tool Box"

Hoople is a needed tool we are LUCKY to have here at HDT.com....:D

signed....BUBBIE

I don't know what else to add. I tried both methods to extract the codes with no results. I have the ignition and run switches on, the engine light comes on for 4 seconds then goes off and stays off with the pins shorted together. When I tried the method of turning the ignition switch on and off with the three second intervals there are still no codes. Should there be codes showing even if they are historic?

Should there be codes showing even if they are historic?

I would think so.
Are you working with the 2 genuine manuals (99483-97A & 99483-97SP) for that year bike. I have seen engineering changes just for a year or two and sometimes using general instructions just may not apply. I am not saying you will learn some hidden secret, but having those manuals would be step 1 for me.

You didn't say if this was a customer or friends bike since your Avatar is a different year. If I owned the bike, I would buy the manuals.

we are LUCKY to have here at HDT.com....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Your too kind Bubbie. :)
I hope what you write about transmissions, clutches, cams, gear drives and Engines is not Copyrighted because I print and save every page.

i know this cost $$ but have you had it to your dealer, and be there the next morning when he cranks it up.lb

The bike belongs to a customer. I dont have the manuals you mentioned, and it could be there is a different proceedure to retieve the codes from this particular model. I do appreciate your input, thank you very much.

Back