free website stats program Cold Knees | Harley Davidson Forums

Cold Knees

cjcavitt

How do you fight the cold knees with the fairing lowers and staying somewhat dry during a downpour?

I put vented lowers on the EG and they work well for keeping the feet/lower leg warm, but seem to channel the air right on the knee. In colder weather the only cold part is the knee.

Fortunately I’ve only been caught in a few rain showers and down here in GA when it rains small children need to find higher ground. The vents were closed but I was surprised just how wet the feet/lower leg got. Better than before, but not really that effective. (Rain gear was at home keeping the closet nice and dry)

I've noticed the same thing since installing mine. I'm going to try the adjustable air deflector kit to see if that helps.

Chaps!! And I never thought I was a chaps-kinda-guy, but I gotta tell ya- I got caught in some unexpected low temps on a long ride once, and a buddy of mine loaned me an extra pair of his that he had, and MAN- saved my knees. I went and bought my own, and they have extended my riding season significantly. They really help the knees and shins. I never thought I'd own a pair, but if you like to ride in colder temps or live up north, they are a great investment!

Chaps!! And I never thought I was a chaps-kinda-guy, but I gotta tell ya- I got caught in some unexpected low temps on a long ride once, and a buddy of mine loaned me an extra pair of his that he had, and MAN- saved my knees. I went and bought my own, and they have extended my riding season significantly. They really help the knees and shins. I never thought I'd own a pair, but if you like to ride in colder temps or live up north, they are a great investment!

I'll second the vote on chaps. Make a significant difference. The only downside to them is your butt still gets cold.

Gerbing's heated gear. Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing! HD sells it's own brand at some dealers. I've never seen the whole suit at a dealer and HD seems a bit pricer. It's very popular with the sport touring crowd. Personally I prefer just the heated socks, jacket and gloves down to about freezing. Below that I add the pants. I have big armor knee pads in my riding pants which provide great wind blast protection. Check your total electrical load so you don't toast the alternator. Skip the vest especially on a dresser. Your arms probably stick out in the air stream. Make year round riding a treat. Polar Bear Grand Tour - Polar Bear Motorcyclists Go on a Winter Grand Tour
flhrrider

Leather chaps is the way to go. They can also save your knees from a lot more than the cold. HD makes a great set that has a dual zipper system so you can use the "outside" zipper and have the room to wear more layers on the cold days. I also highly recommend Carhart jeans with the flannel lining. Available at Joes or Cabelas. Very comfortable and warm without the hassle of dealing with thermals.

The Carharts aren't waterproof or resistant at all. Just nice comfy jeans with flannel lining. The chaps keep me fairly dry if I'm moving. Remember that leather has been keeping cows dry forever. Leather also won't melt on your pipes. If it gets REAL nasty I'll just find a pub or pull under an overpass and throw on the raingear. I live in the Northwest so weather is a way of life. You deal with it or stay home. It's really not rocket science to buy and use gear that will keep you warm and dry. The plug in heated gear is a PITA in MHO.

I have the carharts but not for riding and you can spray the water proofing on them and it works well in the snow etc. to keep you dry.

Back